Chapter 09 | Castle of the Golden Fire

A WEEK HAD passed since the Fyrians' damage to Rovenshire's property, leaving people with nothing to save from their businesses

A WEEK HAD passed since the Fyrians' damage to Rovenshire's property, leaving people with nothing to save from their businesses. And only a few days were left before classes began. And in that time, Clara needed to figure out exactly how to spend the first days living as someone else.

Clara was wary of the future. Of course, she had been feeling ecstatic, but a nagging voice at the back of her mind told her that it was too good to be true.

But then, she began imagining herself living the life of her dreams. It would start from something simple like dining in a downtown bakery shop—having breakfast as she watched people go by their daily lives—to seizing an adventure with her crew to retrieve a lost dragon egg. It might be a silly thought. Who would risk their lives just to get a dragon egg?

Clara knew everything was temporary. Soon she might just wake up and discover all of this as a dream, or worse she'd be busted by Anneliese's parents for stealing their daughter's body. But then again, it wouldn't be called stealing, would it?

Things wouldn't go as easily as people wanted them to. And Clara realized no matter how much she convinced herself, she wouldn't be ready. Life would always find a way to throw her off her feet, especially the moment Willow came. That Anneliese's Familiar, a wind spirit named Willow, would be Fate's first challenge to her. Familiars were gifted with eyes that were able to see their master's aurea, an energy special in every soul.

It was the usual time of the day when Clara would be standing in front of the tall wall of ancient volumes in Zephyrus' old palace library. A warm feeling came over her as she looked around. She had always loved the faintly sweet musty way that only a roomful of books smelled. She took comfort in the soft occasional sound of turning pages. The library back at Sierra had always been her escape, and Clara felt almost overwhelmed with relief as she realized that this one might offer the same sense of sanctuary.

The walls were deep mahogany and the ceilings were high. A fireplace with a brick hearth lay along one wall. There were long wooden tables lit by old-fashioned green lamps, and aisles of books that went farther than the eyes could see. The sound of her sandals was hushed by a thick maroon carpet.

One time Clara would sit by the white velvet settee near the fireplace with the king and queen. At first, they were quite surprised when she accepted their invitation to lounge in the library for their small family bonding. Clara took a quick note that Anneliese might not be a fan of books, and the only people who'd been keeping the library alive were the king and queen, and a few other servants who were tasked to do the cleaning.

A cream-colored leather-bound book called out to her this time. And by answering its call for attention, she pulled it off the shelf. She traced the cover's text with her fingers, and a perfect humming of melody matched Clara's current mood.

In fast yet soft steps, she headed to her favorite spot in a single high-chair sofa placed beside the open window. It had never been there, but Clara took it upon herself to move it where she wanted it.