Chapter 22 | The Essence

CLARA HAD barely squeezed herself inside the office when Professor Rhyb hastily banged the door shut

CLARA HAD barely squeezed herself inside the office when Professor Rhyb hastily banged the door shut. His fast-paced steps, sweating forehead, and shaking hands struck suspicion in the princess. Whatever it was which made him lock all the doors, shut the windows, and block every possible exit, she wanted to know; she won't take just a simple shrug to the topic as an answer.

The woody scent and minty breath of lemons and herbal plants wafted around the closed quarters. Various healing instruments were filed inside the wooden cabinets, apart from pots of plants hanging around the hollow walls and littering the floor.

His office was so much like the one found in Terralis, the home of earthwielders like her. She had been in their palace's Healers' quarters before, and being in the sage's office resembled it so much.

Professor Rhyb was a satyr, a creature of the earth, but it was no surprise that Blaire would hire a non-air wielder like him. Their kind had mastered the practice of medicine. Their empire would generally send some of the best healers for work exchange and provide service to neighboring empires and kingdoms.

Clara stood guarded as the sage stalked towards her like a calculating predator aiming for something. His steps proved hesitant yet determined, and his eyes zeroed in on the object she was holding in her hands.

Professor Rhyb snatched the red rock away before she could even react. She tried to retrieve it, but the sage was just too tall that even if she jumped the best way she could, it was just wasted energy unless she had the power of Eirinians who could conjure wings with the power of the air.

Her face lit up with a sudden idea, but before she could even move a single finger, Professor Rhyb's face hardened and his frizzy mane raised like a wolf's hackles.

"Your Highness, you can't just turn your power against a sage. The academy forbids such action, and it is clearly an abuse of power. Surely King Cassius and Queen Thalia won't let this happen." From Clara, he turned his gaze at Prince Emir, who, for some unknown reason, was not in his normal state. "And Prince Emir?"

Emir blinked. He looked so lost even after gaining his sense of awareness back. "Yes?"

"Are you okay, Your Highness?"

"Yes." He nodded, still with a dazed look swimming in his dark orbs. "Yes, I am. Wait, what is happening here?"

"Your Highness—"

"Emir!"

Clara closed into the prince and held the sleeve of his dress robe. Her expression was that of a pleading child. Her purple eyes promised mischief, cheeks puffed out and lips pressed in a thin line. But despite being troubled with how she was able to speak in Squibble language that no Eirinian could do, an amiable smile spread over his lips.

This stunned Professor Rhyb. If the princess they knew as Anneliese was being strange for her good, the prince was too. Everyone knew—though it was unspoken—that the prince was keen on antagonizing the princess' expression of love. What used to be the galaxy devoid of stars, his eyes now sparkled at the sight of her.