Chapter 26 | To Search the Sun

A THROBBING headache was setting inside Clara's skull, and her eyes were drifting close

A THROBBING headache was setting inside Clara's skull, and her eyes were drifting close. She heard what seemed like a million people calling her, their voices faded but somehow clear.

"Her Highness!"

"Her Highness has been attacked!"

"Seize the enemies!"

People who were dressed in heavy armor and were carrying spears charged in their direction. She could barely hear the muffled sounds of chaos when her eyes finally closed.

And then there was only peace.

Clara slowly regained the senses she had lost. She could hear no sound but the gentle blowing of the wind and the soft churning of the water. Her body felt fine as if nothing attacked her. And her head felt so light just like each time she woke up in the morning.

Was she dead? How unfortunate. Clara could only hope that her friends could make it alive at least.

The Fyrians!

Clara sat bolt upright, a moment of dizziness washing over her. It took several seconds before her vision cleared, only to find that there was no ongoing battle around her and that she was all alone.

She was sitting on lush green grass and just beside her was a small garden pond with floating lilies and small fishes. Surrounding her were plants and trees of all kinds and sizes. Butterflies even flocked around her and at a safe distance, the birds and rabbits watched her with curiosity.

"Wait a minute. This place looks oddly familiar," she said to herself, standing.

"It's because you've been here before, my dear," a soft female voice answered.

Clara's eyebrows furrowed. Even that voice was familiar. She turned around and came face to face with the golden fire. And suddenly, she remembered. She'd been here once before on her first day in Blaire.

"A-Am I dead?" was the first thing Clara asked.

The golden fire laughed. "Dead? Oh no, dear. You are far from being dead. And it's not your time yet. Didn't I tell you that you still have great things to do?"

"B-But why do I always end up here? I never meant to be in this place."

"It's because I call for you." The fire shapeshifted into a woman. The butterflies adorned her fiery hair. The birds flew out of their nests and perched on the fire woman's shoulders, and the rest of the garden animals gathered around her feet. Clara didn't burn when the golden fire cupped her cheeks.

"Call for me?" Clara whispered back. She found out she was not afraid. The fire's warmth simply drew her in.

From her cheek, the fire's hand traveled to her neck where the gold, string necklace hung. It pulsed a warm glow under the woman's touch.

"Have you found out the power of my gift?" the fire said, taking a step back.

"No." Clara bit her lip. She fondled the necklace, thinking deeply. "What does it do?" She even nearly forgot it existed as it would simply vanish from sight and would only show once she touched it.