Chapter 28 | Worst Formula

SPENDING TIME alone in a cold and miserable dungeon made Clara rethink everything that had happened

SPENDING TIME alone in a cold and miserable dungeon made Clara rethink everything that had happened. One minute, she was sharing a fairytale dance (or so she'd like to think) with a dashing yet uncaring prince (her mouth still tasted bitter just with the thought of him). The next moment, Flynn came, and another prince whisked her away. One good thing that came out of it was that she never crossed paths with Flynn... yet.

Unfortunately, she had become easy prey to her captors. They probably thought it would be easy as she wasn't well-guarded. Because the truth was, even if Eadric was a strong fighter, he wouldn't stand a chance if he was against that many. Some Eirinian guards came, but they were too late. And no one from them could ever stop her from fighting.

Her stubbornness would soon be the death of her. It had become her parents' concern even before when she was still a child when in truth, Clara was just fed up with her life as a prison girl (in the fanciest way).

If someone would know her story, would they empathize with her? She thought not. Unless they'd be in her shoes, people would fail to understand. They were lying when they said her power from the moon was a gift. To her, it was a curse because someone out there made it their life mission to hunt her down.

Her mother (her real mother) warned her to never cross the castle walls. Only then she'd be protected. And now that that protection was gone, how she would keep herself safe was up to her. But in her current situation, Clara failed. This was bound to happen anyway. How long would she keep in hiding if not?

Clara had lost track of time. Was it day or night? She wondered about her friends. Holly, Maxwell, Willow, and Emir (even if she wasn't sure if kissing was still part of being friends). It felt like an eternity being in that tunnel beyond the shadow door, and the entire time she was in panic mode.

She dreaded her fate. Up to this point, Clara knew not a thing as to what would happen next. When her captors practically threw her in one of their prison cells, old-and-smells-like-a-rotten-flesh-and-pee prison, they never once checked in on her since then. Maybe because they were so confident with the fact that she would not be able to escape... which was true. The wrought iron bars that had been keeping her locked in seemed to be dusted with anti-magic particles that simply melted her magic.

It was horrible to be stuck in that place alone. The whole dungeon was massive and damp. It was covered with crawling insects, puddles of water, and ash. The torch allowed her to see warped and molten metal remnants, deteriorated and maimed by time itself.

The metallic smell of blood reeked. Some were fresh as some were dry and made marks on the floor and walls. In the cell right next to hers, she could hear a low groan. Clara had no idea how many other prisoners were there, and she had no plans to make herself known. She'd rather stay under their radar.

Clara had to think of a way to escape fast. Her heart could only be at ease if she would see her friends okay with her own eyes.

That and something else. She couldn't stop thinking about the Sun magic user Meara told her to find. But how could she? The world was big and there were tons of possible places where she could start. For all Clara knew, that person could be royalty just like her. Or a commoner.