Chapter 38 | Blood, Sun and Moon

SHE WAS trapped once more but under the mercy of an enemy

SHE WAS trapped once more but under the mercy of an enemy. For a few blissful days, Clara relished in the wonderful taste of freedom that even until now wasn't still enough.

Clara wanted more, and she would fight for another taste of it that not even the master, who walked to her with a triumphant gait, could do anything about it.

The wall of fire surrounding her wasn't like Emir's sun flame. It threatened to char her skin down to her bones, whereas the prince's was like summer heat. She craved it; couldn't get enough.

The Fyrians and Hollows united in their cry of victory and seeing the princess trapped assured the success of their plans. But a lot of things could happen, a lot of possibilities. Clara might think of a way to escape. Holly, Maxwell, Emir, and Flynn might also relinquish the enemies' hold on them.

In her periphery, Clara pinpointed the spot where the four were as she couldn't completely speak to them with her eyes without the master knows.

Flynn was cunning and Emir was quick-witted. Holly and Maxwell were trained for situations like this and she trusted them to find a way out of the situation while she distracted the master by talking.

"Brave of you to finally show your face. What have you been doing all this time when your minions had been fighting? Hiding?" Angry protests followed her words. In the corner of her eye, Clara saw Emir's incessant struggle as he thrashed from his captor's grip. His mouth moved to tell her something but the voices all around them drowned him out.

The master stroked his beard and tapped the pommel of his sword with his fingers. "Speak whatever you want, Princess, but victory is mine. I have you where I want you."

Clara spit at him. "I will stop you," she swore through gritting her teeth.

"Will you?" the master grinned. "I will certainly love to see that."

"I will." Clara's lips were beginning to crack and dry. "I promise."

"That would be impressive, as this place will soon become your tomb once you've done your purpose."

Clara looked around, her eyes focusing on the grim and desolate forest that would soon become her graveyard. Anneliese's graveyard. Clara had no idea what would happen to her soul if the body of the Eirinian princess was to die. It wasn't like she was going to let it happen.

"You should be pleased." The master unsheathed his sword. Instead of silver steel, the blade pulsed red as if dipped in blood.

The blood in her body rushed in her veins. It flowed faster and faster the more she looked at the blood-red blade, pumping her heart in a frenzy.

"Put that away," she muttered under her breath. And it wasn't only her. Fyrians, Hollows, and all her friends alike seemed to have trouble breathing.

"You're going to help bring in a new world order," the master continued. "Didn't you say you wanted freedom? A choice?"