Chapter 24 | Charms and Kisses

GRUNTS AND HEAVY, shallow breathing pierced through the deafening silence of the room

GRUNTS AND HEAVY, shallow breathing pierced through the deafening silence of the room. Bullets of sweat traveled down past Clara's chin as she gripped on tight at the edges of the mirror's frame. She grimaced as the Castellan's chambermaid tightened the laced corset around her body.

"A little more tight, Princess?"

"No, no, please. That's enough. Thank you."

Clara blew a loud breath through her mouth. The cursed fabric was like a tight vice around her lungs, rendering her incapable to breathe.

The chambermaid stepped back and bowed her head and Holly took her place, holding the burgundy and gold ball dress that Clara would wear at the prince's party.

At the mere thought of the fourth prince, Clara's cheeks were painted red in an instant. There were a lot of things playing in her head.

Would Emir like how she'd look in that fancy gown?

That kiss.

She heard from Holly that the two royal families decided to order a matching pair of attires for them.

That kiss.

But wasn't the gown too revealing on the chest? The off-shoulder neckline was so deep that it exposed the cleave of her ample bosom for the prince to see.

That kiss.

And why was she only thinking of the prince? There would be a lot of guests who would see her in that gown for goodness sake, yet none of what they'd think mattered to her.

That kiss from five days ago. It never left Clara's head. Despite only lasting for five seconds, that memory would remain only until she married and loved another man.

But why did marrying someone else seemed like an idea she couldn't fathom entertaining? All these horrible thoughts were the product of that kiss! The kiss that neither of them even bothered to talk about.

Clara grabbed the mirror's frame and slammed her forehead on the smooth glass over and over.

"Go away. Go away. Go away, you sneaky prince!"

"Princess!" Holly shrieked and she almost dropped and stepped on the gown she held.

Panicked gasps erupted as the servants shuffled towards the princess, prying her away from the mirror.

"Your Highness." Holly handed the gown to one of the servants and positioned herself between the mirror and the princess. "I-Is something the matter? You shouldn't have done that. We better go see a Healer right away!"

"No!" Clara held Holly by the shoulders, shaking her. "Just get him out of my head."

"W-Who?"

Clara pulled Holly closer and whispered next to her ear so that none of the servants could hear. "Emir."