Chapter 37 | The Darkest Hour

CLARA PUSHED through the bodies that gathered around the doorway to where Malini's prone body lay

CLARA PUSHED through the bodies that gathered around the doorway to where Malini's prone body lay. Her cool fingertips touched the old woman's temple. The impending danger outside grappled everyone's attention, so no one had seen the faint green light that goes through Malini's head.

"Evigila," she whispered a chant. The spell would force the mind and body to hasten the replenishing of the strength. Malini should wake up any moment by now.

The spell did not betray her as Malini showed signs of waking soon after. The old woman's face scrunched at the horrible screeching of the anima outside. They must be looming closer.

Malini sat straight, however, wobbly. She mantled her forehead to her palm, still had to get her bearings.

Estel was beside her grandmother in an instant but the girl's attention was solely focused on her. "The master you mentioned, whoever he was, must not see or hold this book." The red leather-bound tome was tucked protectively in her arms. The more seconds passed, the tighter she held onto it. "He still wishes to speak to you, but now is not the time."

Clara's eyes glazed over, feeling the hum of magic from the book. There was some sort of communication between, one that did not involve words but came with a silent promise and reassurance.

"Very well." The princess cast a longing look at the book, and the two women who cling to each other dearly as if they shared the same lifeline. She only then noticed the grave fear in Malini and her granddaughter's pleading eyes. They were a family about to be thwarted in a fight they didn't even start. "Estel, go somewhere safe. Bring the book with you and keep it for me. I'll find you when I can."

"Anneliese," Emir called out to her. She nodded at him and looked once more at the pair.

"Here, take this." Estel caught her wrist and placed an ivory stone on top of her palm. It was light and as small as a button. "I don't know where we'll go from now, Your Highness, but wherever the path will lead. Until we see each other again."

Estel dipped her head then she was off to the back door with Malini and the book in her arms.

"Maxwell and Flynn are to come with me," Emir said as he faced the group.

"No one, especially not you, orders me around," Flynn said, arms crossed defiantly on his chest.

Emir answered him with a glare then his eyes softened when he glanced at her, guilt clouding his eyes. "Princess Anneliese will remain here with her ward. Go away as far away from here as possible. If anything worse happens, the important thing is The Dread will not have both of us."

He was leaving her behind. "Emir," Clara whispered hastily. "I can carry a sword, wield my magic. I've trained enough; I can fight. You can't keep on protecting me forever."

Emir's eyes flicked to the rest of the room, their companions watching their discourse.

Another screech interrupted any of Emir's potential objections. The smell of smoke wafted in through the open doors. Clara shivered at the unheard cries of the trees and animals riding with the wind. The three men exchanged a look as Clara stood resolute.