Chapter 06 | Malini

SILENCE TAILORED her thoughts with silken threads

SILENCE TAILORED her thoughts with silken threads. It used to be comforting and warm. But now, silence didn't help with the whirlwind of thoughts bombarding her mind. It was like a spark that triggered the fire in Clara's head, and the failed escape attempt had thrown her into a pitfall.

Clara examined her hands as if staring at them could bring back her powers. Without it, there was no space in her heart with nothing but helplessness.

After Prince Emir and Maxwell had brought her back inside the room, more guards were stationed just outside the door. And Clara knew she couldn't pull off what she did earlier again. It was one lucky chance, yet she blew it off.

Any moment from now, the parents of the girl whose body she occupied would barge through the door. And they wouldn't know that a different girl was living in Anneliese.

There was just one big question that Clara had been dying to know the answer to: How did she end up in another's body?

Think, Clara, she told herself. What is there that you can do? There is no time to cry or even succumb to negativity. This is the kind of situation where you shall put your brain to use.

Talking to herself worked sometimes. And so, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Ah, what a sight to see. I have been blessed."

Clara's muscles tensed. Her heart flipped at the sound of that unfamiliar voice. She opened her eyes and was met by a pair of ocean-blue orbs, staring down at her. "Still beautiful as ever, I see."

Clara screamed in fright and scampered into the far corner of the room. How could someone get in here without her knowing? She was waiting for the guards to knock on her door, but it seemed like none of them was alerted by her scream.

She eyed the stranger warily who didn't even bother to wipe that smirk off his face. All she could notice was that he looked decent, with not a speck of dirt on his button-up shirt. He didn't strike her as someone who could bring harm. But, the trust couldn't be granted that easily. Clara was taught to have a good eye on who to trust. It didn't matter if a person was good-looking, had pale-rosy lips, high cheekbones, and a chiseled jaw. Anyone could have the intention to harm others.

"Who are you? H-How did you get here?"

His lips slightly parted and the word confusion was written on his face. But that didn't last long when he clutched his chest, acting as if he was in pain. "Well, that hurts."

"I am asking you. Who are you and what are you doing here?" Clara asked once again, her voice toning down a notch.

The stranger shrugged and tucked his hands inside his pants pockets. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips and a shiver slithered on Clara's spine at the chilling effect of those cold blue eyes. "I'm here to check on you. News says that the princess is finally awake. You know, I was worried about you."