Chapter 07 | Open Enrolment

"ROVENSHIRE

"ROVENSHIRE. Arcelia City's central town," Flynn sang in his loud voice, garnering attention from passersby. "It's been a long while since I last stepped foot here."

Wearing black robes to conceal their identity, Clara and Flynn emerged in a bustling street that thrived under the shadow of the floating rock island of Zephyrus' castle.

It looked like the entire world had come to gather. People bustled left and right, hopping from shop to shop. Carts of scrumptious foods lined the sidewalks. The air was filled with such a mixture of smells all jumbled up, making it hard to identify one from the other. Performance artists sat at random corners doing a strange number of tricks. One man created random shapes of small animals out of the air as children chased them relentlessly. Another woman had several instruments floating around her, all playing at the same time until someone told her off for making unnecessary noises.

Clara was about to cross the cobblestone street when Flynn pulled her back and she yelped. Kids whizzed past them in a zoom, riding on a spherical-shaped air, probably racing.

"Careful!" Flynn rasped at the kids who simply ignored him. Thankfully, he was holding Clara by her wrist so that he was able to pull her back in time. He hadn't let go ever since he caught her escaping. If possible, Flynn would have tied their hands together with a rope just to be sure.

Another sound of children's laughter led Clara's wonderment astray. They were busy making a nuisance of themselves when their parents were at home. Or probably those kids might be the children of any of these vendors.

"Princess!" Flynn called the moment she slipped from his grasp. Clara took it upon herself to play with the young ones until their mothers were ready to return them home. Happiness—the kind she had never felt before—bloomed in emotional warmth as flowers opened in spring. She was always told when she was a kid that happiness was in everything. She just had to invite it in. It was in the cool rain and deep sunshine, or even when chopping a home-grown vegetable. The point was even in the simplest thing, people could find happiness. Before, Clara didn't know what true happiness was. This newfound feeling that touched her heart would be forever cherished. This was her first time being among the crowd, drowning in their voices, and witnessing every moment in this place.

She turned around to look at Flynn. Gone was the reservation she had for him. The moment her eyes found him, she quickly ran up to where he was, tugging him along around the town.

Their feet began padding on the cobblestone streets to the rhythm in her head. Buildings made of red bricks lined the sides in symmetry, occasionally breaking in every alleyway. But some were drawn with scribbles and paints in which—Clara could guess—were the naughty children's doing.

After purchasing some muffins and tasty pies from the Anytime Bakery, they skipped further into the heart of the town. Clara couldn't help but turn her head around every second to soak everything in. Carts were selling wide assortments of vegetables and fruits. There were even tents and booths that sold ornaments and charms that were said to bring in luck.