Chapter 32 | Project Eclipse

THE BLACK AND WHITE pebble stones crunched under Clara and Emir's feet as the flurry of snow eased them down a path leading to the temple's entrance

It lay solitary amidst the thick foliage and trees. The dense canopy of trees provided as much cool shade over the temple's roof. Away from the snowy and festive city of New York, nut shells and dead leaves littered the forest floors. The path of ivory and ebony pebbles stretched from downhill and up ahead. All was silent except for the songs sung by birds and the skittering of small animals, playing hide and seek behind the bushes.

"Hello?" Clara called and was met by an echo of her voice. She started towards the direction of the temple only to be held back by Emir with a worried look on his face.

"Is something the matter?" Clara cupped his face in her hands. Emir flinched at the touch but made no effort to release himself. His heart was torn. He wished to surrender to the feeling, but another part of him felt adamant as to how the princess could cause such a stir in his heart.

Emir drew circles at the back of her hand. "Will you let me share with you the worries of my mind, Anneliese?"

With a wistful expression, Clara said, "Of course!"

Emir nodded, feeling grateful. "Right before we left the place where the Attuned clans had gathered for a rather unfortunate meeting, I saw something in the corner of my eye." He closed his eyes, shaking his head. "No, not a thing... but people. Two of them if my memory serves it right. They were men dressed in fancy suits, quite opposite to the roguish demeanor of the other fellows in that room. Their huge build told me they were men. And as the moonlight shone upon the face of one of them just as they were about to leave, I couldn't help but recall his face belonging to someone we know, only years younger, which makes sense since we are looking into the past."

Clara gently squeezed her palm on his cheek when he stopped and hesitated. "Go on."

Swallowing, he said, "I wish I could be wrong, but there's no point in running away from the truth. One of the men was the younger version of the master."

Clara froze and let her arm drop to her side.

The prince gave a stiff nod. "If the so-called master was there, who could be the other person with him?"

"The Dread?" The words came out as a whisper from Clara's lips but they spread throughout the forest as swiftly as a vengeful ghost. The trees stood frozen in time. There was no more of the stream of light passing through the gaps of their branches as the trees huddled closer for comfort. The tiny animals hid in their nests and the birds flew as far away as possible.

"He isn't the Dread. Not yet. But perhaps we'll know what led him to become the evil of our present in this memory." Emir jerked his head in the temple's direction. "Well, into the temple we go."

They trudged the path just as the forest went on its former business. The temple ahead was built with polished gray stones, a triangular roof, and carved columns. It showed no signs of abandonment for the grass around it was neatly trimmed. At the foot of the steps, a shallow concrete basin filled to the brim with crystal clear water was placed amidst the flower bed.