Part 33 LARUS AVIS

"What's happening?" I just stood opposite Zarya, and now I'm looking at her from the bottom up, still standing firm on my feet. "Zarya, what's going on?" I repeat my question in fear, but instead of my own voice I hear a disgusting and painfully familiar cry I usually hear every spring that is coming from the river.

What is happening to me? Why is Zarya covering her plump lips with her palm? What's wrong with me? It feels I've become lighter and reduced in size!

"Just don't panic... Easy... easy..." marigold seems to wake up from oblivion and starts to hold out her hands to me as if I were a frightened kitten who wants to hide under a heavy wardrobe. "The main thing is not to move..."

"Why on earth can't I move! I'm not standing on a mine, aren't I ?!" I desperately object, but my mouth opens somehow strangely, and I don't feel my lips, and instead of words I'm giving a disgusting cry! I try to get up, but I can't, because I'm already standing!

I must lean on something with my hands to get up!

And then I realize that I no longer have hands. Instead, I have the ashy gray wings! I'm waving them in horror, trying to wake up from a nightmare, but instead, I painfully hit them on the legs of the chair and table. My heart is beating super-fast ready to burst out of my chest, and my eyesight is so strange: full of yellow and red blotches, but, at the same time, just so perfectly excellent that I can notice a small spider in my bedroom that is seen across the kitchen and the hall.

Zarya is trying to grab me pulling my wings in close to my body, but I instinctively see her as a threat and continue pacing back and forth looking around the kitchen with the cold, tiled floor.

"Avis! I beg you, calm down! The more you panic and resist, the longer you remain a bird... Please, I want to help you!" the young mage begs me.

Her words don't bring me to my senses, but only frighten me more: it seems I cease to understand her speech: the girl looks big and dangerous. The room is so tight: the walls are creeping ready to trap me. I make another plaintive half-scream, half-screech and painfully bump my head against the corner of the table.

But something draws my attention: a familiar sensation of magic. I freeze as if spellbound, standing with my mouth open, though most likely with an open beak. About a year ago a titmouse flew into my kitchen: she was so scared that she was constantly keeping her little black mouth open. I wanted to feed her, but she did not react being in a state of shock. Mom said that if a titmouse flies into the house, it means wedding bells are ringing very soon... I wonder if this rule applies when a very charming robin girl is flying into your bedroom window?

Shattered into billions of rainbow fragments, Zarya looks at me as a little robin bird, and I look at her. Now she looks small compared to me and doesn't cause such horror. Her bird is evoking more and more of a human in me: I want to cover her with my gray wing and protect her.

She jumps up to me. Her small clawed foot is resting on my funny red web-foot. Fluttering her wings a little, ruffling her feathers, Zarya seems to doze off under my wing. I calm down and close my eyes, when I open them again, I'm sitting on the floor with a disheveled head and a complete mess in the same disheveled one. Zarya sits on my knee and watches me intently.

"Are there any good omens when a robin is in the house?" I ask absentmindedly, not waiting for her answer. Zarya blinks, but, of course, she gives me no answer. I gently reach out to her and touch her soft plumage with the very tips of my fingers. She lets me. The feeling is amazing, as if I'm looking at a bird, but I see Zarya. With the pleasant sound of fluttering wings, she flies over my shoulder, clutching her tenacious claws of her black, twiggy legs. I gently turn my head to watch the orange plumage of her bosom. "Your human eyes are the same colour as the orangy breast," I say in a trembling voice. I touch her again, and she is chirping melodically in response.

Her beautiful singing cannot be compared to the terrible screeching of my birdie. Why didn't my bird turn out to be a noble eagle? Be grateful for not being an ostrich, you fool!

In a strange way I continue enjoying the moment. I sigh sadly when Zarya shrugs off my shoulder. But I have nothing to worry about: she sits on my thigh and with a bright flash of multi-colored crystals takes on familiar and such pleasant human forms.

We look into each other's eyes, and then she cuddles with me, wrapping her arms and legs around me. I feel her and my breathing is quickening, and the heaviness of her body causes such a pleasant feeling from which I begin to fidget slightly.

"You showed me your bird for the first time," sobs Zarya.

"Are you crying?" I ask her with panging anxiety.

"You've never shown it to anyone before... Goddess... You showed it to me!"

"I'm sorry?" I don't know if I should apologize or be happy about her words.

Zarya snuggles closer to me, and I can feel my breasts wet with her tears, "I'm so happy."

"Have you never seen seagulls?" Her behavior embarrasses me and at the same time fills me with some kind of light joy after the first real declaration of love.

Or is it such a romantic way to confess your love too? Although if you believe Selina...

I start laughing, unable to stop. Mage looks at me with concern.

"Kal turned into a rat for the first time in front of a swineherd with a whip! Probably blondie was so horny that he could not hide his love to him and his dominant whip!" I laugh with my head thrown back.

At first, Zarya looks at me in surprise, not understanding what I'm talking about, and then she starts laughing too: first, with restraint like a true lady, and then loudly and joyfully like a carefree child.

"I love free spirited seagulls," she says casually between fits of laughter, and I silence the young mage, locking my lips with hers.

Larus avis... uhum...