Part 38 AVIS HAS A SERIOUS TALK

Nota bene: the chapter features strong words!

I watch them from a moderate distance. Kaleb beautifully creates fire spells and shoots them clearly at the approaching shifters. They squeal, and their hellish screams echo from the gloomy white-trunk forest. Celandine jumps up like a puma; with one swift movement she pokes the monster's eye with a short dagger; her other hand is sending some kind of monstrous impulse and the shifter's chest melts and chars where the hand of my bodyguard just was. The impulse is so strong that I hear ringing in my ears.

I should have trusted them and not worried. I keep forgetting that Zarya, Celandine, and Kaleb are warlocks, Livius's killer squad. I like to see how they work on a mission. On the first day of the acquaintance with my odd couple, I noticed how strong and flexible the mages were, how animal-like they moved as if hunting for prey.

Corpses are lying around them, and they, as true conquerors, proudly and wearily look at their work. A few minutes later Kal says something to Celandine, pointing in the direction of the village, which should be a couple of kilometers from our bonfire. My bodyguard shakes her head in agreement. They head towards the already extinguished fire. Most likely they want to collect their belongings and go to the village. The sky is no longer overcast, and Aella proudly casts her tender blue light on the field, forest, and mages. The crowns of Nila trees appear like sapphire clouds in the light of the noble Goddess.

I no longer watch them. They don't need my help, or rather the help of my artifact. I didn't expect that I would guess the exact time of my return, because in two words time flies in a different way. I thought it was stable. Say, a month in one world, three months in another one, but now I doubt it too. Tia is right, mages know very little about the nature of both Mirrors and ordinary worlds. The knowledge was lost when the borders between the worlds were closed for mere mortals.

I watch two young mages with a smile. They hastily collect things and hide those that they can't take with. Mages are tired after the battle, and they don't want to waste all their magic on trivia.

They will be alright.

I hide behind a small hillock covered with mint-green grass, lightly touching the tallest blades of grass with my fingertips.

"It's time!" I command myself. I'm boldly feeling for the "doorknob" in the air, firmly holding in my mind the image of the place that I need right now.

***

I take off my beanie like a man before entering an orthodox church. I wonder if I could get through so quickly without the magic whistle.

What if you blow the whistle? What will happen then? Nonono! Something tells me that this should not be done now.

I don't know the Eagle castle good enough, but I remember Livius's cabinet very well. Unfortunately, it is night now, and he is most likely in his royal bedchamber, but the study is not supposed to be far from the bedroom. My logic is a little lame, but I certainly wasn't in his bedroom to create a direct portal, even if Avis was there, fortunately, I don't remember it.

I don't think the mages have no protection for the royal castle from intruders, but thanks to the artefact (to which I attributed all the credit), I was seamlessly able to find myself where I wanted. I carefully examine the cabinet, but I find nothing interesting for me.

I bet these lousy revolutionaries would have found something important.

Bang!

I almost faint with fear when a secret door in the wall opens. Two tipsy people tumble out of it. The girl is very beautiful, she has long black hair and a slender body, and the man is muscular and dark-skinned. They are both giggling like two high teenagers. The girl drinks champagne from a bottle, and in the light of the man's faint yellow pulsar, her pale cheeks turn pink.