Part 24 (II) AVIS HAS A SECRET ADMIRER

"Mage Avis, Mage Kaleb!" Celandine's unexpected approach startled us. I didn't even notice when she left the cabin. "Permission to speak, mages?"

We are both nodding, waiting for her report.

"There is no trace of magic in the building: I checked everything from the basement to the attic. I sent a search spell to find Cygnie, but it may take a while to find the illegal traveling portal – they are usually well disguised and removed immediately when used. But there is still a chance to find out where exactly she escaped."

"Get on with it," Kaleb nods to the girl approvingly.

"Wait a minute!" I sharply turn to the young man. "I don't want Cygnie to get in trouble! If she wants to leave, then it's her choice."

"If she just took the knapsack and went into the open field, then that would be her choice, but she left with her brother, who is wanted for conspiracy with felinepeople! By law, we are obliged to check where she went..."

I look at them in horror, "You're both crazy! We can't do that to her!"

"You're right," Kal says hastily. "The drunkard could have been wrong! She could have just gone somewhere. Don't worry, we won't report to anyone. Did you hear Celandine?" She nods willingly and smiles at me.

Is she smiling at me?

"Contact your partner and make sure he keeps his mouth shut and silences her father while we are secretly investigating the case. This is an order!"

I get up awkwardly and take an uncertain step towards the girl:

"Celandine, listen... Could you find me in the castle later? I need to talk to you in person," I can't look at her, but I force myself to do it. In response, she smiles at me even wider, and a pleasant blush fills her cheeks. I know this expression for sure! I always look at Zarya with the same idiotic expression, especially when she is not looking at me.

It can't be true!

"Of course! Great! That is... it will be done, Mage Avis!"

She turns around and runs to the portal door and once again turns to me with a modest smile and hides in the doorway.

"Why is she being so friendly to me after what I did to her! She should have kicked me after my dirty proposal, not knelt down! I don't understand... How can you say that Avis could respect those who are below her in status!"

"Indeed, she could! Celandine was always slightly obsessed with you, but I did not know... did not understand that in that way... You literally saved her parents, who were imprisoned for another disobedience to the past owners of the castle. She was one of the first to stand up to our side during the coup and was in the forefront of resistance against the old regime. It is only thanks to you that her parents are alive, and she has become a battle guard of the castle by your order! That's true: she is doubtlessly ready to eat from your hands."

"I can't believe that someone can be so interested in me. I'm just me," I think I say this to myself, but in fact I say it out loud.

Kaleb comes up to me and squeezes my hand, "I'm so sorry about you and Cygnie. I didn't know you were with her... I didn't really know much about this part of you, to be honest. That's why I like you better. You are just as fair as Avis was, but at the same time you do not hide your emotions, you say everything as it is, everything you feel. And no matter what you say, I am calm, as I begin to understand you more, to understand Avis more."

My lower lip is shaking, but I can't cry; it just doesn't work out for me, as if, with passing of so many years, I've forgotten how to do it, and now I just can't remember how it's done, and the pain keeps accumulating and accumulating inside. Kal, seeing my condition, hugs me. I do not respond to his embrace, holding my hands at my seams, but I do not angrily pull him away.

"Ardea could force her to go with him. Maybe we can get her back..." The young man tries to calm me down. I nod, but I don't believe him, realizing that this mission is impossible. It's all over for me. My journey will continue alone after I break up with the couple.

He strokes my back, and it seems to me that I am relaxing in his arms. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Zarya approaching us. She is wearing a yellow dress again (Damn that dress!); her stunning olive skin is glowing as if she has just taken a milk bath like Cleopatra. The girl stops, and it seems to me she twists her beautiful mouth.

Well, of course! You don't like that Kal is touching me. Okay, I won't annoy you.

I pull myself away from the young man. He also spots his girlfriend and waves at her.

"I'll probably leave you two. I'll meet you at the castle tonight," I mumble hesitantly.

"Wouldn't you like to come with us?"

"We will have enough time together during the trip," I say, walking away from him. Leveling with Zarya I look away from her face and just nod in greeting as I walk by. She accidentally or deliberately touches my little finger with her fingers.

It seems to me that I will die soon.