Part 26 (I) AVIS PREFERS BLONDIE

I never noticed how thin her wrists are, like those of a teenager! Before going to bed, I have the image of her appear in my mind: a strong, powerful mage who is easily terminating a ghost while other people are hiding or staring at her in wonder. But how fragile and thin they are, her wrists!

She is in her favorite music room, reading some ancient book with a worn leather cover – "Rare Spells of Oblivion. Rituals and Deliverance" (Probably one of those new books that she had ordered from the library of the Eagle castle along with other magic junk for the mission)... Her eyes are dimly shining with a pearly orange glow, and her lips are moving; it is clear that she is reciting a spell or unlearning it. Most likely, it is pronounced without proper aspiration or intonation, which means that it has not entered into full force yet. I have read about some spells that must be "chanted" in advance, since the first time they do not work immediately, as if they accumulate energy gradually. I act impulsively when I use my spells and thus never create the exquisite lace or the thinnest cobweb of a charm, as I clearly felt at the well and before meeting the ghost — this is how I began feeling any magic here — instead, I simply chop with a sledgehammer of my untamed power against the matter of this world and hope, that it will work. Although, my spells turned out to be strong: that one has never been removed from my chamber (I distinctly heard the blondie cursing while vainly mumbling something in Latin like a preacher, standing on my balcony. Everything was walled up to death!) I can swear that when I tried to read the next map of Nefeli lands in the morning room, I saw my fiery snakes, my first real spell, crawling in the cold fireplace. When I ran up, of course, it was already late, and they streamed up the wall, leaving me no chance to react. What could I do? Catch them with my bare hands? Ask them to return? I created them on the first day I met Cygnie in order to impress her. Beautiful girls have always had such an influence on me, as far as I know about my own preferences, for during my time here I have gradually begun to forget the small details of my childhood and teenage life. I don't remember what the girl with whom I had my first sex looked like, or maybe it was a guy? In my head there are just images, languid sighs, sweet touches, smiles, softness, kisses and nothing else. I had lost Avis's past, and I'm slowly losing my own 'artificial' past... and it seems I am facing no future. For some reason, the nasty feeling of my imminent end is constantly haunting me, giving me no rest.

"Zarya..." I say quietly to her.

She slams the book shut and looks at me. It goes without saying that she was practicing this spell for me, to bring back Avis's memories. In vain I was so hoping that she would give up this venture and just decided to leave everything as it is.

"Sorry to disturb you! I'm already leaving now."

"No, no, please don't go!" she tries to get up and the forgotten apple falls to the floor.

It rolls towards me, and I deftly pick it up and sit down on the edge of the soft divan. To tell the truth, I was not ready for the conversation and just wanted to kill time somewhere reading spell books, but as if subconsciously striving for Zarya's most beloved room.

"You didn't give me the opportunity to explain myself to you! I swear that I didn't know anything about you and Livius! No doubt, I suspected that you both could be close to each other ... in an intimate sense," she says, trembling a little, "I would never, do you hear me, would never send you to him. We would have hidden you; we would have stayed in your world. I am so sorry we did take you here immediately. I had to insist that we stay at that inn. Yes, everything is disgusting in your world, no wonder Kaleb hates it so much, but we would get used to it... "

"Zarya, don't say that. Your home is here, the people of the Hare castle are counting on you and Kaleb. Trust me, you wouldn't like it there. There would be no servants bringing you food on a tray, you would face lots of restrictions and red tapes — your present title wouldn't count there... Everything is fine. We will go on a mission and carry it out as in the old days. I am sure that everything will go without any costs, and we will quickly settle everything, and you will safely return to your castle."

"But you can't marry him! You just can't! He's disgusting! You have a plan, don't you? You always have a plan!"

She repeats the word 'plan' in vain, and I am silent. I do have a plan like Avis used to have one.

"Avis..." she gets up from her place and sits down next to me.

"I am telling you for the hundredth time that I am not Avis, you know my name is... " but then I stumble. Suddenly anger doesn't exist no more. I do not want to argue with her as a stupid boy who, being in his early puberty period, teases a girl, without proper understanding his feelings for her.

"Forgive my inconsistency. Call me as you want, Zarya," I say, gently handing her the red apple. "I want to apologize. I'm sorry about how I treated you. You brought me to a new world that I had not known before you, and now I have people who respect and love me for something that I had not attached any drops of effort; I have lands, a high income and two castles, as well as magical powers in which the devil will break his leg trying to understand. And I'm not weak anymore, at least as a mage."

"All this is your merit and nobody else's! You are Avis, I know it!" Zarya looks at me like no one in life has looked at me, no one!

"I didn't thank you for healing all my wounds and scrapes after the incident in the forest. It was you, was it?" I quickly change the topic.

"It's nothing", shyly says the girl. I can see from her worried face that she really wants to know what happened between me and Max, but delicately keeps quiet.

It's not trivial. Your magic is amazing!" I cannot contain what has been languishing inside me for so long. "I would love to learn how to heal too, someday," I say, and I understand that this will never happen.

"You don't have to learn, when you remember, the knowledge of healing spells will return to you again. You are much stronger than I, although," she smiles playfully, "you're no match for me — any healing spell is my thing!"

"We'll see!"

"I'm used to constantly healing you on missions, and in general! You are always getting into some kind of trouble. For example, your experiments with magic: how much I suffered with you after any magic sparring or your inevitable skirmishes with rival magic groups! But... I must admit I did like looking at your face when you always came out victorious, you seemed to attract everyone like a magic potion! And do you remember that creepy little monster that you had brought to the castle from the distant fields?" she dozes off for a second, and it probably seems to the girl that she is talking to her best friend, not to me. "Oh, Goddess! It was disgusting! Those poisonous, acidic drools! The creature spoiled five old tapestries from the era of the Second Great Generation and almost bit the dressmaker's ass! Ahahah! And you would coo, "awing" at everything it did. It was foolish to believe that the mucus of the field hardhorn can be a nice substitute for the spring sap of the transparent nymph buttercups! As a result, I was putting spells and ointments on your terrible burns for three hours! And you would be so naughty and impatient like a child!" Zarya laughs merrily, wagging her finger at me.

She hugs me suddenly, cuddling tightly. I bite my lower lip, restraining a treacherous groan of pleasure when her breasts touch mine, feeling a pleasant almost painful tightness of desire down below. But why of all people, only she evokes these feelings in me? Not Max, not Cygnie, just her. Pain and pleasure at the same time, like the sweet torture of being in her company!

I must tell her about my feelings, now, before I leave them forever!