Part 7(I) AVIS SEES A GHOST

Selina, a busy bee, started making my bed, chatting about the latest hearsay, while I stood untended. When finishing, she pulled heavy, floral, floor-to-ceiling curtains. I gasped of amazement: behind them was a huge French window leading to a semicircle balcony. Without asking I opened it and stepped forward. A stunning view was my reward: a thick flourishing garden was just under my bare feet. The trees had white trunks; on their heads were milliards of blue blooming flowers. A little further away I saw a sparkling, twisting river and several broke-back bridges. Just across the river a dozen maybe more houses with perlaceous roofs were seen. Beyond them, as far as my eyes could see, were endless patches of colourful field and clumps of trees with bluish crowns like those in the garden below.

I found it inappropriate to be in a nightgown before kids (even if it looked like a summer dress some girls wear); and I went inside and started pulling up my jeans. Selina, noticing it, came up to the unassuming rat, grabbed it by its long, fat tail and threw it from the balcony.

"Hey, what a heck are you doing?!" I was shocked at what she just did.

"I throw him into tree flowers. They are soft; he would be fine, Mage Avis. He must not see a lady while she's changing her garments."

"That's inhuman; you must not do it again."

"Yes, Mage Avis."

I didn't listen to her, for I leaned out the balcony in attempt to grab the rat back, but his trail went cold. It was not high, the second floor, presumably, but that was no excuse for the way she treated the animal. Sniffing angrily, I put the rest of my clothes on.

"Don't worry about that. His is an idiot. You are too kind to this rat. I know him, his pretty fine now. One really should sweep a squirt back onto his feet," she said, bowing again.

I opened my mouth but didn't find any words to reply. Luckily, Robin came in with a huge basket of food. The girl spread a white linen on a coffee table which stood in front of a cold fireplace. At home I usually had a hasty breakfast of some coffee with milk and toasts, thus was greatly surprised to see all this food Selina and Robin drew out the basket. There were thin slices of fresh cheese and cold meat, roasted potatoes, fried mushrooms, and grilled circles of vegetable marrow. A silver kettle with a long gooseneck, shining like a Christmas ball, was emitting herbal odour. Luscious honey scones, having been decorated with ripe cloudberries, gooseberries, and, supposedly, blueberries, were also served as a second course.

I felt like a sick (sick in the head, probably) child, and everybody was trying to please me. While I was tasting onion-shape mellow fruits of bluish hues: aquamarine, turquoise, blackbird egg, Selina was busy fluffing my cushions when Robin was pouring a piping hot beverage with some flower petals in my cup.

It was embarrassing to eat alone, and I asked them to join me. They were surprised, but accepted my invitation with amiable enthusiasm. It seemed that kids were trying to impress me with their good manners, talking eloquently about changing weather and its negative impact on herbs. I didn't really follow their "aristocratic" small talk, for I was trying to eat as much as possible. I was not sure when it comes to eat again.

When my hearty meal was over, I thought it would be great to know more details about my captors:

"Where are marigold and blondie?" I said, licking my sweet index finger, thinking where to put the scone leftovers.

They didn't even show up, having sent two silly kids to deal with me.

"Mage Zarya must be in the village now; she was sent for to deal with Jay's father-in-law. He keeps coming and making much trouble. And Mage Kaleb," Selina frowned, "... is probably in the garden."