Part 2 AVIS MEETS HER OLD FRIENDS

I had pins and needles in my right arm and a thirsty desert in my mouth. Half asleep, with half-opened eyes I was groping for a glass of water in a bluish darkness of a room. Instead of finding a glass, I turned over an alarm clock with green numbers showing «03.00». Fortunately, I found a cup of cold yesterday tea that was recklessly left on a dressing table during my vain attempts at writing an ill-fated thesis. Having decided not to be picky about ancient tea, I drank it voluptuously to the last drop. I sat on my bed massaging the arm and watching the net-like curtain swelling and ballooning, as the memories of yesterday were slowly creeping into my head.

That couldn't have been true. Real world doesn't work this way. Tomorrow when the sun is up, I will easily find a confident explanation. Obviously, my thoughts are intermingled with dreams now. That's why a good sleep is the best remedy.

I nodded in approval to my overly convincing adult quote, but the painful feeling that everything had been real the day before didn't go. Even though having a luxuriant imagination, I didn't believe in mysticism, destiny, horoscopes or anything of this rubbish kind. I could easily set apart a true life and my mere imagination, but that stupid day was an exception.

The curtain bagged out again, producing a whisper. I heard fluttering which made me shudder unwittingly. Behind the curtain, just at the window, I saw a dark shadow moving. Those were the latest events that had affected my nerves so much, for I jumped out of bed, kicking my duvet, and rushed to the window to close it as if a fragile glass could save me from an outdoor danger. All of a sudden, I felt a bagful under my foot; the bagful moaned and I, shrieking as loud as possible, jumped on the bed.

"Avis, don't wake up your neighbours. That's me, Zarya. We didn't mean to scare you," said a dark silhouette against the window. The bagful stood up with groan.

"It's your fault! I told you to be more patient and keep the disguise. Now she's shocked and unprepared," a guy retorted sharply, looking at her.

"You were the first to shift and let her step on you! And now you are blaming ME?" even in the shadows I could see her glowing orange eyes.

"I fell asleep and it's hard to remain the shape while sleeping! You must know it better than anyone else," he said it through his teeth.

"And who let you sleep, by the way, uh?" she stood straight with her hands on her hips.

"Hello!" I waved at them impatiently, "Did you forget about me?" I stood disheveled with a white fist-size hare figure I grabbed from the night-table and hold it like a hand grenade.

Well done, dear: an airtight plan to protect yourself is to get a knick-knack hare. And what are you going to do with it? What about giving it to them as a present on the occasion of our second meeting?

I must have had a ridiculous look, but they didn't seem to care.

"Avis, don't you recognize us?" asked the girl, holding her hand over her heart.

"Yes, I do recognize you," I said frostily.

"Thank..."

"You are suspicious guys from the bus stop," I interrupted her.

Apparently, the answer didn't make them happy. My eyes got used to the darkness, and I could see distress on their tired faces. I had no sense to call the police or cry for help: my self-defense reflexes and common scene were definitely out of order. Actually, I was extremely glad to see them again even under very unusual circumstances. Their presence created the atmosphere of safety. Nevertheless, I tried not to lay all cards on the table and preserve somehow my poker face.

"I understand your feelings. Just give us a chance and we can explain everything," she spoke to me in such a tone as if I was about to jump from the bridge.