promise

Exes Louis and Harry ironically meet up at a bar, where missing pieces fall into place.

________________

Harry was cursing and covering his head as he tried to get out of the bar and grill before he was spotted by his ex, who was currently seated with his still best friend, Ellie.

  Ellie had short black hair, and dark eyes with lovely tanned skin, she was an eye catcher.

  But she wasn't his type of eye catcher. Harry's eye catcher was sitting next to her, sipping a bright red drink, and playing with the mini umbrella it came with, with a bright smile on his beautiful face.

  He knew he secretly wanted him to see him, because he wanted him to catch his eye and hold it. To stare at Harry as the recognization comes through, and he wanted him to wave and come over and give him a hug and ask him how he's been doing.

  Harry wanted all these things, but he also knew he hated him. He knew they broke up on bad terms, and he still remembered the day he threw the promise ring he gave him over the balcony as he watched it hit the ground.

  Harry will never forget the day he told him to go to hell, and that he never wanted to see his face again.

  As he left the bar, he reached into his pocket and tightened his hand around the small ring that fit so perfectly on Louis' finger.

  He sighed and leaned back against the brick wall, turning his head to the side to watch a car zoom by every few moments, and for a split second, he even wondered what would happen if he happened to step into the oncoming traffic.

  Harry shook his head, his curly mess of hair flopping around his face. He never could cut it, even though it reached his shoulders.

  Harry smiled slightly as he pulled a cigarette from the pack in his pocket and put it between his lips.

  Louis loved to grab it during sex. Since then, it's never been cut.

  He blew smoke from his mouth as he shivered from the slight November chill, "I thought you were gonna quit those cancer sticks."

  He nearly coughed up his lungs as he looked to find the source of the voice. Harry knew who it was, but he couldn't help himself as he questioned if it was really him.

  His hand pulled free from his pocket, dropping the ring back into it. Harry pulled his hand down to clear the smoke, and then he saw him, eyebrows raised, hands on his hips, and eying him up and down.

  "Hello to you as well, Louis." Harry smiled, but he tried to hide it, looking towards the ground as he stomped his small and used cigarette into the dark pavement.

  When he didn't say anything, he sighed and leaned back against the wall again, crossing his arms, "I did quit, remember? For about three months. Then you dumped me, and I went back into it. The only reason I quit at all was because of you."

  Louis licked his lips and nodded slightly, his hands shoving into his coat pockets, "You went back into it because we were no longer together?"

  Harry shrugged, "I no longer had a reason to stay.. to quit." He gulped as he nearly said that he no longer had a reason to stay alive, but he quickly pulled himself from the thought, but then his mind flashed back to the rushing cars just feet from him.

  Louis didn't seem to notice, and he began to back away, "You're just gonna leave.. just like that?" Harry whispered.

He sighed, but made no move to show he was going to stay and chat, or anything at all, "Harry, we left each other on.. on bad terms."

  Harry nodded, stepping forward, "I know that, Louis. But you didn't even let me explain before you kicked me out and told me you never wanted to see me again."

  He shook his head and held up his hands, "I knew everything already, there was nothing to explain, Harold."

Oh man, he used his full name, "Louis, listen to me. What you saw was planned out by Austin, to trick you into thinking I was still seeing him." Louis suddenly stepped forward, so close their bodies nearly touched. His hand came up to cover Harry's mouth, so he stopped talking.

  "Harry, I know." He whispered. He reached up and removed his hand, but didn't let it drop, instead Harry grabbed it loosely in his own. He didn't object.

"You know?" Harry said, staring down into his bright blue eyes that always seemed to take the breath right out of him.

  Louis nodded, "Ellie called me a stupid prick about three weeks after I chucked that beautiful ring over the balcony. She said she saw Austin on the street holding onto a tall blonde lady, and that he had either moved on from you that fast, or it was never true to begin with."

  Harry sighed, "You tell me that now? It's been six months, Lou." He whispered, the ring that never left his pocket suddenly felt lava hot.

  "I couldn't work up the nerve to call you. I acted like such a diva that day." He chuckled lighty. Somehow both of their hands were gripping tightly onto each others, as they were so close, their chests touched.

  "I called you about a hundred times!" Harry rolled his eyes as Louis laughed lightly, "Once the calls stopped, I knew you were over me."

  Harry leaned down and hovered his lips over Louis'. Louis stood up taller to press his lips to Harry's, "I never ever, got over you."

  "Promise?" Louis whispered, intertwining his fingers with Harry's as he leaned up to press his lips with Harry's again, and again as Harry smiled and laughed through it.

  Harry dug into his pocket and finally took out the ring that burned a hole through his jacket and his heart, "I promise."

  Louis gasped quietly as he saw what Harry was holding, "You kept it?" Harry nodded, and reached for Louis' hand.

  Louis let him take it eagerly, and watched him as he shivered as the new cold metal slipped onto his finger.

  "I never let it out of my sight." Louis laughed and wrapped his arms around Harry's neck as he pulled him in for another kiss.

  "Do you have a reason to quit those cancer sticks now?" Louis said against Harry's mouth. Harry dug in his other pocket and took out the half filled pack.

  "Never liked them much anyway." He shrugged and tossed the pack behind him, watching it hit a couple garbage bins then fall behind a trash bag.

  Louis suddenly grabbed onto his hair, "You knew I'd come back." He winked, so Harry pushed his lips on Louis' and lifted him up, "No, but I hoped."

  Together, they went further into the ally, giggling like school girls as Harry grabbed for Louis' bottom a few times, "I'm ready to take that hair for a spin."

  "Give it to me, baby."