subtle

Falling in love isn't exactly what you want to do in the midest of a zombie breakthrough.

_________________

   "Behind you, Keith!" Louis shouted as Keith took the swing, and swing he did. The ax he held swung with such force it knocked the targets head completely off its neck. Keith grumbled in triumph.

  "Is that all of them?" Keith asked, eyeing the darkening forest around us. Louis was tired and out of breath, but he nodded and quickly rubbed his bloody machete off on the grass, and then hurried to tell Keith that they needed to move, and they were off, trudging back into the dark forest, getting darker very quickly.

  "I've never seen a herd so big before." Keith commented lightly, sticking his ax back into a easy-to-reach pocket in his bag, Louis chuckled a little breathlessly, "Are you bit?" 

   Keith eyed his arms and body, feeling up his own neck and chest as they walked, then he shook his head, "Clean. You?" Louis did the same thing as Keith had done, except being a little more through. Louis shook his head, wiping a bead of sweat that had gathered at his hair line. 

  "We'll meet up with the others then. I hope they found some food." Keith gripped onto his stomach as he spoke, making Louis realize his own hunger, "Let's talk about something other than food, yeah?" 

  Keith nodded, agreeing without words, "How are you and Harry doing?" 

  Louis flushed, because he would rather talk about food than talk about his current fling in the midst of the worst Apocalypse even the television and books couldn't get quite right. 

  "I don't know if he wants to do a lot, I mean, we're so close to death every single day, and letting our guard down to even sleep is risky. He's guarded." Louis mumbled the last sentence, hardly daring to speak louder than a whisper now that the forest had gotten darker and quieter. 

   A low rumble, or maybe it was a growl, sounded near them, and they both stopped, "You see anything?" Keith whispered so low, Louis wasn't sure he heard him right, but he shook his head, "Not yet."

  Then suddenly a figure stepped from the shadows, gnawing at the air. Once the rotten corpse saw the two men, he raised his dead arms and sped up his still slow pace, "I got it." Louis sighed. 

  He walked toward the Z, thankful for the distraction, and pulled his handy machete from his bag, then he swung, and dug it deep into the groaning Z's skull. He stopped whining immediately. 

  "Nice." Keith commented. Louis smirked and walked back to meet Keith, who was already walking again. 

  Louis didn't say anything, and neither did Keith, because he knew Louis wanted to ponder, especially after bringing up the only subject that confused Louis to the greatest point he's ever been. Of course he loved Harry, he just hasn't told him yet. 

  It bugged the hell out of him, but Harry wasn't really the.. touchy-feely kinda guy, he was more into being quiet and cuddling. Which Louis didn't mind at all, but once in awhile, he wanted Harry to tell him he thought he was funny, or maybe he liked the way the grease in his hair made him look, and how it reminded him of The Outsiders.

  Louis sighed to himself, and Keith ignored it. Maybe Louis would have to just... say something. I mean they could die at any time, with all these Z's walking around all the time, and the immediate danger of other humans willing to kill for even the slightest scrap of food, they didn't have a lot of time. Everything was a time bomb, even one breath could set a Z on them, so what could he do?

  He couldn't ignore it much longer, he needed to say something, because he wanted Harry to know how he felt before it was too late, and that could be any day.