Acquaintances (Chapter 9)

"I'll call her to come here right away sir." said Nathalie.

Nathalie selected the contact and called the number.

"Hello Lila, Mr. Agreste would like to talk to you in person as soon as possible."

"Really? What for? It's been so long... plus Marinette has gone off to New York ages ago." said Lila as she looked out from her window.

"He'll inform you when you get here."

"Consider me there... MOTHER! I'M GOING TO VISIT MY BOYFRIEND ADRIEN! HE MISSES ME SO MUCH!"

"OK HONEY, BE SAFE!"

Lila hung up and soon she arrived at the Agreste mansion, still unsure why she was being called out of the blue. But nevertheless, she was ready for anything.

"Hello? I'm here to see Gabriel Agreste, my name is Lila Rossi."

The gate opened and Nathalie ushered Lila to the door.

"Follow me to Mr. Agreste's office."

"Of course. Wow! It's been a long time since I first came here, I'm surprised Adrien hasn't invited me over more often."

"He's just been a bit busy ever since Kagami went back to Japan. Mr D'argencourt has given him extra fencing lessons hoping he could catch up to Kagami's level, Mr Agreste has scheduled more photoshoots, chinese lessons, english lessons (remember they are French), piano practice, violin lessons and even photography lessons."

"I see, what exactly am I here for?"

Nathalie stayed quiet and knocked on the door of Gabriel's office.

"Sir, Ms. Rossi is here."

"Let her in." said Gabriel Agreste.

"Hello Mr. Agreste, uhh- what am I doing here? Chloe and Marinette don't talk to Adrien so there aren't any bad influences around him."

"Ms. Bourgeois is out of my concern, but there has been something going on with my son and Ms. Dupain-Cheng."

Lila frowned and she stepped forward.

"Is that so? I thought Marinette was still mad at Adrien after the whole thing that happened... what makes you so sure?"

"Adrien doesn't support me in bringing his mother back, he says I have to... move on... I suspect it's all because of Ms. Dupain-Cheng's influence."

"Wait... how could you bring your wife back? That's... impossible!"

"That is out of your business Ms. Rossi, so now tell me. Will you help me get my son back to his... usual state?"

"His usual state is calling me a liar and being in love with Ladybug, he hasn't really changed..."

"I must say you are partly right, but now he's in love with...

Ms. Dupain-Cheng."

"WHAT?! THAT LITTLE BAKER GIRL?! OH MR AGRESTE, I WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN!"

"Good... I was hoping you would say that."

They shook hands and their deal was set in place.

Meanwhile, Cat Noir was just sitting on a rooftop thinking what to do.

"How am I supposed to convince Marinette to come home?"

Back in New York, Marinette was getting ready for an event.

"I can't believe I have to work at Adrien's fashion show again! The 'old me' would've been thrilled." Marinette cringed as she thought about her past stalker like behaviour.

"Ok, now all you need to do is finish off the embroidery on this suit Marinette." Lizzy tapped Marinette's shoulder as she noticed that she was zoning out.

"Yup, I'll do that right away. Wait, excuse me when is Adrien coming to New York?" Marinette needed to know so she could mentally prepare herself. When the time came, she didn't want to punch him in the face immediately when they were face to face.

Lizzy checked her phone and started to laugh.

"NO WAY!!! THE NEWS HAVE ANNOUNCED HE'S CURRENTLY ON A FLIGHT TO NEW YORK!"

"This is going to be a disaster."

Audrey Bourgeois entered the room and she broke the chatter among the girls.

"Ah! Maria- uh Marinette, how are you?"

"I'm fine Mrs. Bourgeois, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing just fine, it seems you've almost finished here. I have a very important job for you."

"Sure, what is it ma'am?"

"You have been chosen to take Adrien Agreste to his hotel. I believe you're the perfect one for this job."

"But-"

"No buts, I've already made my mind. He'll be arriving at the airport at 5:27 pm sharp!"

"Yes... ok ma'am... I'll do it..."

"Wonderful! Wait! Lizzy is that polka dots on that skirt? That is utterly unacceptable! The sketches clearly show stripes!"

"That's the wrong sketch Mrs. Bourgeois. That sketch for this skirt is over there."

Lizzy pointed to a piece of paper that had fallen.

"Oh! I see, well these sketches are absolutely perfect! There are no flaws, who designed these?"

"I did..." said Marinette nervously.

"Oh... in that case, it's pretty mediocre... I suspect you, Ms. Dupain-Cheng will not be late for Adrien Agreste's arrival."

"Yes Mrs. Bourgeois."

Marinette arrived at the airport and her phone read 5:28 pm, Adrien was late.

"Where is he? Plus he's late... this is such a waste of time. I'm sure someone else can help him."

Marinette turned around and she was ready to walk off and leave Adrien wherever he was, until a voice called out for her.

"Wait! Marinette!"

"Great... hey Adrien..." Marinette avoided eye contact with him.