~Chapter eight~

~Chapter eight~

We had just left the party. Everything was fine. my mom was laughing at something my dad had said, it wasn't even that funny, but my mom did have probably one glass of wine to much.

"Bella! Did you have fun at the party? Erin sure took a liking in you, don't you think darling?" My mom asked my dad, while winking at me. My parents never called anybody by their real names, so they had their little pet names they call each other, and me and Eli. For example, mom would call me sissy, honey, and other names like that, while my dad called my Izzy, darling, and sweetheart. For Eli, it was bubba, big boy, which he despised, or Li-li, he also didn't like that one.

Erin. He's one of my dads colleagues sons, who is my age, that started to tease me, which my mom said was his way of 'flirting'. Yea right.

"Not really. He was just messing with me." I stated, not really interested in this conversation.

My dad let out a huff of air. "Good, cause you're not aloud to date until you're twenty-five."

"Oh now Bill, she can date. She is sixteen for heavens sake!" My mom says, her southern accent drawing out. Oh this is serious. She called him 'Bill'. My dad just mumbles little profanities under his breath, while my mother just stares at him, daring him with her eyes, to argue.

I toon out out of their conversation, and put my head on the window of our car, watching the trees, streetlights, and the occasional cow go by in an instant.

I hear the screech of tires skidding on road. I look to my left, and to my horror, a truck is headed strait for us, and fast. Making no effort to try and stop. And before I can utter a word, a sound even, my mom screams at the top of her lungs, and calls for my dad to watch out.

I feel the impact before I hear the crash. And it hurts like hell. I close my eyes as the whole car rolls. When we come to a stop all I focus on is breathing. It hurts. I look down, and see the window I once was leaning on, is now almost fully in my stomach. There's so much blood I have to look up, I still regret that decision to this day. I can't see my mother, she proably got thrown out of the car at some point during the rolling, but I do see my dad, and he looks worse that my stomach wound, which I can feel all the blood emptying itself from my body, slowly, and painfully, my father's arm was clean off his body, stomach torn open, and has a dent in his skull. I could only pray and hope that he was fine, but knowing my better judgment was right, I knew he wasn't just passed out.

My eyes felt heavy, and they slowly shut, no matter how hard I tried to keep them open. When they finally had closed all the way, it was like time had stopped. And all I could do was try to hold onto reality, and that was the faint sound of sirens coming for me.

+++++

Car accidents. They happen all the time. Sometimes it's the weather that causes them, like rain, snow, or even tornados. Or perhaps it might be careless drivers who just was to get home to their familys. Or what took my parents life: drunk drivers.

The police had searched his car and found a open bottle of bud light. They also say that that he had already been under the influence of alcohol before even stepping inside the car. Apparently he passed out at the wheel with his foot on the gas, and the thing that saved him was his air bad and seatbelt, that even in his drunken stage, remembered to put on. He walked away from the crash with only a few scratches on him, and no memory of what had happened.

That's one of the reasons that I said no to Taylor about going to a party she asked me to go to, because there would be alcohol. I can't even look at the beverage without my skin crawling in discuss.