Chapter 5

Andrew walks into the restaurant with sparkling eyes, and the features of his face lit up with a blindingly bright smile. While none could argue that he wasn't ridiculously attractive, the most eye-catching thing about him at this moment is definitely the blonde on his arm. Cora's red dress accentuates her curvy figure perfectly, the silky material draping invitingly over her generous bust. Curls cascade down her back, delicately covering her bare skin, and those heels certainly make her plump backside pop. Andrew can almost guarantee that he will be the envy of every man in the building tonight, with such a vision of beauty accompanying him.

This thought fills him with pride; the lucky bastard he is, he gets to be the one going home with her come night's end.

As the couple follows the hostess to their table, Andrew can almost feel the eyes of other men gliding over his stunning wife. The thought alone strokes his ego, confirming that the blue-eyed beauty beside him is indeed the picture of perfection. Clearly, Cora's charm reflects positively on Andrew himself, one of the many reasons he chose her to be his wife.

When the two approach the already full table reserved for them, they are greeted warmly by the parties awaiting them. Dinner goes smoothly as the two families cheerfully engage in small talk, Cora nearly bursting with excitement to share their joyous news without further delay. Andrew tries to coax her into relaxing by softly caressing her thigh under the table. While he had initiated the movement with entirely innocent intentions, it quickly fills his mind with dirty thoughts. His eyes roam over the bubbly woman, drinking in her appearance. Blue eyes glitter as a laugh passes her red-stained lips, Cora's cheeks alight with a lovely rosy glow.

It's a wonder he's managed to make it through nearly the entire night without making love to her.

As something stirs in his pants, Andrew unwillingly diverts his attention, hoping to put an end to the fantasies filling his head. They will have to wait until later. This dinner is too important to Cora for him to distract her with his growing need for her now.

The others around the table quiet down, looking at the couple expectantly. It's as if they are trying to pry the announcement out of them with their eyes. Unable to withhold any longer, Cora's ruby lips part and the words slip off of her tongue in an ecstatic rush, "We're pregnant!"

Loud cheers erupt from every mouth in attendance at their corner of the establishment. The uproar draws the attention of others throughout the place. Congratulatory comments are shouted from across the room, and the few females at the table quickly gather to coo adoringly over Cora. Andrew's lips turn up into a wide grin as the celebration continues, receiving hearty pats to the back from the gentlemen present.

This enthusiastic reception is precisely the outcome he had expected; it's exactly the response he deserves.

After one last round of nonalcoholic celebratory drinks, he excuses himself to the restroom. Before he gets the chance to relieve himself, he is forcefully shoved into a bathroom stall, the door locking behind whoever has interrupted his much-needed break.

"I saw the big commotion," the familiar voice of his secretary says, an almost unnoticeable hint of malice in her tone. "Care to share the news?"

Straightening his gray suit, Andrew turns to the woman, the smile still etched on his features. "Cora and I have just announced the new addition to our family," he answers robustly, unable to hide his immense joy.

Maria's eyes widen in shock before narrowing at the man before her. How dare he knock her up! Even if she is his wife, this is... well, this isn't what was supposed to happen! She immediately composes herself, schooling her expression into one of mock happiness. "I suppose congratulations are in order," she says, the smile on her face so fake that it almost pains her. However, now is not the time to express her true feelings.

"Thank you, Miss Ortiz," Andrew replies, his voice taking on a professional tone. "I believe now is a good time to insist that your services are no longer necessary." While his words sound like they refer to work, the man's voice rather distinctly implies otherwise.

Is he... breaking up with her? No, this surely won't do.

Clearing her throat, Maria uncaringly responds, "I shall leave you to your gathering, then." She unlocks the door and steps out of the stall before smoothing the fabric of her dress. "I will see you at the office Monday morning, Sir. Enjoy your weekend."

While Andrew has no intention of continuing the conversation, he doesn't receive the opportunity to respond verbally before his secretary flees the restroom. It's no matter to him, though, as he has to attend to more pressing issues at the moment. Returning to his wife's side, Andrew places a kiss on Cora's forehead, ignoring the constant and uncomfortable nagging feeling within him. He can worry about Maria later; right now, he intends to bask in Cora's happiness for the remainder of the evening.

Maria silently fumes as she exits the restaurant, the man she had been dining with hot on her heels. Although she can feel his presence behind her, she doesn't bother to spare him a glance as she stomps to the car.

That should be her.

She should be having Andrew's baby, not that disgrace of a woman. She can't even keep her husband satisfied, for crying out loud!

Did Andrew mean what he said? While he's tried ending it before, he always comes back for more; he can't seem to stay away from her. She's running out of time; she had better step up her game and quickly.

Maria leans against the car with a sigh, the man who chased after her panting beside her. Ignoring whatever he's saying, she begins devising her plan in her mind. Nothing will deter her now, not when she's so close to achieving her goal. Rubbing a hand over her stomach, Maria thinks to herself, 'soon.' Soon she'll have it all, and Cora Dalton will be of no significance anymore.