Chapter 37

"I don't think I can do it," she whispers, frightened tears running freely down her cheeks. While she had initially willingly agreed to the idea, she can't seem to convince herself to follow through now that the time has come. Guilt, sorrow, and fear clash against each other within her stomach, colliding in a raging storm as they each relentlessly battle for dominance over her consciousness. It's a losing battle, no matter which wins. Her awareness of this only amplifies her anxiety.

With a sigh, the man places a comforting hand on her shoulder. Looking deeply into her eyes, he softly replies, "It's the only way." He tries to radiate enough care through his body language and facial expression to let the woman know she's not alone. That not only is he here for her, but he cares about her, probably much more than he'd like to admit. Although he tries to remain gentle, his words hold a pertinence and firmness that prompts immediate action in this specific scenario.

The unbridled urgency in his voice instantaneously condemns her, her head hesitantly nodding as she silently concedes. She doesn't have the strength to fight. It was futile, anyway; she knew going into the situation precisely how it would end. The woman swallows down a sob, her shoulders quaking with the effort, although she manages to suppress the melancholic sound. "Okay," she murmurs, gathering what little courage she still possesses. While it's not a significant amount, it's sufficient to drive the plan forward without regret.

And this, should it be successful, is something she could never regret.

"Everything will be okay," the man assures, helping the woman onto the cold, metal table. He squeezes her hand reassuringly as she adjusts the thin, beige gown covering her body, partially to ensure that she's appropriately covered, but mostly out of sheer nervousness.

She nods, accepting his sentiment, but it doesn't resonate in her soul. No matter what she tells herself, she can't force herself to be comfortable; this is definitely not something she had ever imagined herself doing. It pains her like a serrated dagger directly to the heart, ripping the precious organ's flesh to shreds. The gaping wound in the cavity of her chest bleeds profusely, the tattered remnants of what was once there spewing at an alarming rate. The man immediately tries to calm her, reduce her fear, and cease the fearsome images conjured within her mind. He soothingly whispers winsome affirmations in her ear as he pets her hair, hoping his simple touch will be enough to pacify the woman for now.

"Just have faith in yourself," the man tells her soothingly. "Everything will go according to plan as long as you remember why we're doing this."

The woman sighs; she knows he's right. Letting her eyes flutter closed, she breathes deeply, releasing the stress that she's until now allowed to accumulate within the depths of her. No more. She'll be afraid no more. Deciding that she's ready to proceed, she opens her eyes; they're alight with new confidence, a need for restitution for her soul. Tossing aside any preconceived notions of propriety, or life in general, she squares her shoulders. With her head held high, her eyes lock with those of the man before her, and she announces, "I'm ready."

He smiles fondly at her, admiring the profound bravery and strength the woman maintains in such a dark and painful time in her life. She really is the epitome of perfection. He tenderly holds her hand in his as the doctor enters the room, prepared to begin the procedure.

"So this should be painless," the doctor says as he approaches, his gloved hand holding a large syringe.

Swallowing down the residual fear lingering inside her, she breathes deeply and closes her eyes. The probe pierces her skin, and she sinks her teeth into her bottom lip in response to the sudden pain. She can feel the burn as the liquid surges into her veins, warming her from the inside out. Soon, her limbs go numb, and she lays there unfeeling, her erratic thoughts calmed by the sedation effect of the drug.

The two men converse while the procedure is performed, occasionally attempting to include the woman in their discussion. She's content, however, to lie there peacefully, enjoying the newfound emptiness she feels in her head. It's certainly something worth appreciating after everything she's been through recently. When the sedation medication wears off hours later, she feels unexplainably different; it's as if she's a whole new woman. With renewed resoluteness, she thanks the doctor for his assistance. Being the kind man he is, he ensures the woman of the success of their plan, clearly reiterating his unabashed faith in her to complete the next phase without a hitch.

The man she had arrived with tenderly pulls the woman into his arms once they're outside the doctor's office. He strokes her hair as their gazes connect and smiles softly at her. "You did well in there," he praises her, carefully tucking a tendril of hair behind her ear. "And I'll be with you every step of the way from here on out." Placing a soft kiss on her forehead, he silently assuages the remaining conflicting emotions rumbling through her.

She dissolves further into his embrace with a small smile of her own, a content sigh escaping her. The sheer comfort and safety he provides her in a single embrace mean more than any words ever could. "I'm lucky to have you by my side," she whispers, pressing her face into his chest. "I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you."

He hums in response, the vibration titillating her cheek as it travels from his body into hers. "No thanks necessary," he replies, squeezing her tighter against him. "Now, let's get this over with, shall we?"

With a final deep breath, she disentangles herself from him. "Let's do this," she answers, her jaw set in determination. With those words, their plan is officially put into motion. 'It's too late to turn back now,' she thinks to herself.