Chapter 27- Part 2

⚠ Warning: This chapter and several following chapters contain pregnancy loss and/or mentions of deceased babies. Reader discretion is advised.

Stopping her car along the side of the road, Maria deceitfully uses Dr. Meyer's stolen cell phone to send a misleading text message to Andrew. She untruthfully informs him that his presence is urgently required at the hospital. Using very few details so as to not blow her cover, Maria successfully attempts to lead Andrew to believe the doctor has some critical information about her pregnancy that they should discuss promptly. While short and evidently perturbed by the situation, Andrew's reply is almost instantaneous, and Maria can't help but feel slightly triumphant. Quite satisfied with the quick progression of her plan, Maria impatiently waits for the object of her affection--or more precisely, obsession--to leave his house before making her next and most eagerly anticipated move.

About ten minutes after Andrew's departure, the scheming Maria finds herself on the Daltons' doorstep, a plate of homemade brownies that she'd previously packed for this specific reason in her hand. An undeniable thrill trembles down her spine before rushing through her entire body. Still, Maria keeps her true feelings masked entirely, a downtrodden expression splayed over her features as Cora answers the door. After spewing some extravagant and well-thought-out lie about wanting to apologize for ruffling Andrew's feathers during her last visit, Maria rather believingly fakes tears, prompting Cora to smother her in an unwelcome hug. 'Well, at least the plan is working,' Maria thinks to herself. Cora is entirely unsuspecting of her ulterior motives.

Cora's empathetic and naturally comforting personality has her guilt-ridden toward her guest's apparent discontentment, a twinge of pain shooting straight through her heart at the sight of the teary-eyed and heavily pregnant Maria. She should have explained her blooming friendship with the other woman to her husband beforehand; then, perhaps his reaction to her appearance in their house wouldn't have been so cruel. With outstretched arms, she ushers the crying woman into her home, quickly embracing her once again. Smoothing a hand over Maria's dark hair, Cora whispers soothing words into the other woman's ear, assuring her that everything will soon be alright.

If only Cora knew precisely what she was saying. In Maria's warped opinion, Cora's words couldn't be more accurate; however, her version of what constitutes "alright" differs vastly from the other woman's.

The two women quietly make their way into the kitchen before setting to work on devouring Maria's appetizing peace offering. They chat casually as they eat, Maria becoming more anxious and impatient as time passes, waiting for an opening to deliver her real gift to the unsuspecting Cora and fulfill the purpose of this agonizing and disgusting social visit.

When Cora finally excuses herself to use the restroom, Maria hurries to crush an abortion pill against the countertop before dumping the dust into Cora's tea and stirring until the evidence has dissolved completely. An eerily euphoric feeling rushes over her as she watches the powder disappear into the dark liquid, leaving behind not a single trace of the medication itself.

Maria watches with silent satisfaction as Cora sips her contaminated tea, her anticipation for the inevitable outcome intensifying infinitely by the second. However, she keeps her eagerness concealed thoroughly, refraining from basking in her potential victory as she carries on idle chitchat with Cora, assuming a false friendly persona for what she hopes will be the last time. When Cora begins experiencing minor discomfort, Maria smiles wickedly to herself, wholly overjoyed at the probable success of her diabolical plot to destroy Cora Dalton. As the discomfort slowly develops into something more severe, Maria hurriedly vanishes from the Dalton home, careful not to leave behind any incriminating evidence other than the wicked cackling that lingers in the other woman's ear after her departure.

Now left entirely to her own devices, Cora soon succumbs to the excruciating pain radiating through her abdomen. It overtakes her rapidly, blurring her vision as her tears can no longer be held at bay. The sudden pain practically multiplies, reproducing itself in mass quantities until Cora feels like she may literally be dying. Sharp contractions ripple through her, sending her body crumbling to the floor as her legs give out beneath her. Cora gasps as she grips her belly, the insurmountable pain making her feel woozy as she lays helplessly on the cold tiles.

In a desperate attempt to get help, Cora struggles to drag her body across the kitchen floor, searching for the cell phone she had left lying on the counter. Every movement is like a kick to the stomach, the intense pain emanating from her uterus and traveling downward, rendering her legs entirely useless. Her hands quiver uncontrollably as she uses them to pull herself to the other side of the room, her arms weak from the strain of whatever is happening to her. When she finally reaches the counter, Cora tries to pull herself to her feet, but another barrage of contractions prevents her from doing so.

A scream tears through her throat, causing her to collapse again, forcing the brownies and tea up with it as the sheer intensity of the contractions empties the contents of her stomach. Cora cries out loudly, shouting and begging for help as she curls into a ball on the tiles, hoping the pain will soon subside even remotely. The wetness between her legs leaves her whimpering, an immediate feeling of loss consuming her as a hand applied to the area returns to her vision covered in blood.

Realization has Cora silently cursing herself as she finally understands that this is all her fault; if she had never been so trusting and kind to Maria, this likely wouldn't be happening. If only Andrew was here with her.

Unable to conjure the will to fight any longer, Cora surrenders willingly to the darkness as it encroaches upon her vision. She lays there hopelessly, helplessly, as the crimson liquid gushes out of her and pools over the once pristine white tiles of the typically immaculate kitchen. Cora's eyes close as the terrifying combination of panic and pain overwhelm her, falling into unconsciousness.