Chapter 41

In the dark of the night, the lock is picked to the home currently housing Gideon Dalton. Gloved hands manipulate tools and the cold metal of the lock until a click is heard, signaling the release of the latch. The man silently pushes the door open and enters the house, remaining careful not to make a single sound. The place is dark, save for the glow of moonlight flooding in from the windows, giving just enough light for him to see without tripping. His black clothes blend perfectly into the darkness, hiding him from sight should someone wake. The man's black boots tread quietly over the carpet as he crosses the living room before approaching the stairs. He keeps his footsteps light as he cautiously ascends, distributing his weight evenly to prevent any creaking boards.

At the top of the stairs, he momentarily pauses, listening intently to the sounds of the sleeping house. The loud snoring of an adult male can be heard from his left; it is followed by a much more feminine sound, urging the man to proceed into the silence to his right. Stopping at the first door, he allows it to crack open and peeks inside the dim room. The bathroom before him is of no significance to him, prompting him to continue down the darkened hallway. The next door he comes upon is a bedroom, with the sparse furniture in the room making him think he's again gotten the wrong one. Just as he's pulling the door shut again, he notices a crib in the far corner of the room, drawing him in. It's shrouded in darkness and barely visible, but he knows it's precisely where he's meant to be.

The man sneaks into the bedroom, his eyes locked firmly onto the crib that beckons to him. His heart rate accelerates with every step closer, the adrenaline pumping through his veins fueling him to complete his task. This is what he's here for. A slight thrill rushes over him at the realization of what he's doing.

Looking over the rail of the crib, the man stares unblinkingly at the sleeping figure of Gideon Dalton for a moment before gently scooping the infant into his arms. He stands absolutely still for several moments, allowing the baby to adjust to the changed positions before moving again. When Gideon remains peacefully snoozing, the man releases a muted sigh of relief. With a secure yet tender hold on his prize, he turns to exit the room, the speed of his escape slightly faster than his entrance. His calculated and unrushed movements are swift and silent, as if he's been practicing and perfecting them for this particular moment. It's almost as if he's known all his life that he'd be stealing Andrew Dalton's baby one day.

He reaches the front door, which is still hanging open as he'd left it. He heaves another sigh, knowing that his mission is almost completed. With a final, quick glance over his shoulder, he steps into the cool night air, Gideon in tow. Once outside, the man disappears into the darkness, taking Gideon with him into the unknown.

The following day, John Kasey arrives at the temporary foster home where he'd placed Gideon and is not the least surprised to see the swarm of police officers overtaking the yard. He had received a call early in the morning, notifying him that the child had mysteriously vanished overnight. On his way into the house, John is stopped by Richard Nelson, who informs him that Gideon's disappearance appears to be a well-thought-out kidnapping; the lock on the front door had been picked, and the door was left open but no other evidence was left behind. It seems that nothing within the home was taken, no other residents were harmed, and unfortunately, there's not a single trace of the culprit.

Gideon's foster mother is beside herself, blaming herself for the baby's sudden disappearance. If only she had insisted the crib be placed in the master bedroom, he would still be here. She cries uncontrollably as John tries to comfort her before finally deciding that his skills are best suited for locating Gideon instead, leaving the woman to sob to herself.

A full investigation is launched, and search parties are sent out in an attempt to locate the missing baby. After days of searching without coming across a single shred of evidence or sign of Gideon, authorities become worried that something far more tragic may have happened to the child. While the police officers have no leads about who abducted Gideon Dalton or where they've taken him, they will continue to investigate the case until he can be found.

The foster family and the extended Pendleton and Ortiz families remain in an emotional uproar, insistent that Gideon will someday be returned to them. The Pendletons' involvement angers the Ortiz family, especially sincce their only connection to baby Gideon was their now-dead daughter, who held no legal claim over the child. However, they begrudgingly accept their assistance in locating their lost member. Although, with every passing day, the chance of that happening diminishes.