Chapter 30- Part 2

With a ridiculously wide grin plastered to his face, Andrew steps into Cora's private hospital room with the baby tucked safely against his chest. There's an unfamiliar feeling brewing within him, a strange combination of what he could only define as pride, consternation, and elation. Thanks to the storm outside, both father and son are soaked through; however, the baby is slightly less wet due to being shielded by Andrew's larger frame. Luckily, no one had been lurking about in the hallway to witness Andrew's suspicious arrival with the infant. Not that he would have cared, though; he could have easily regurgitated some plausible excuse for what was happening. Dr. Meyer stands by in utter disbelief and shock as he takes in the sight of his sopping friend with a crying newborn in his arms. He doesn't even have to ask where the baby came from, a nauseating realization of Andrew's depravity curdling sickeningly in his stomach and threatening to upturn its contents at any moment.

Andrew hands the towel-clad and wailing infant to the doctor, his eyes shining with a prominent swirl of indecipherable emotions. Contradictory to his pleased expression, his eyes betray the conflict raging within him. It's evident to the doctor that Andrew's mind and heart are waging war against each other, that he has irreconcilable thoughts swarming him, no matter how determined he is to present otherwise.

Hesitant and unsure, Ed cautiously receives the bundle, examining the boy for injury or illness. The child is apparently underweight, prematurity ensuring a small stature, although he seems to have developed enough in the womb to not require emergent medical assistance. As he single-handedly prepares a bottle of formula which is kept in all recuperating rooms on the maternity ward, Meyer doesn't inquire about Andrew's current state. Instead, he chooses to remain silent as he begins to feed the starving child, recognizing that now isn't the time to delve into such a chaotic and disarranged place as Andrew Dalton's mind.

Again, that background in psychology would be useful right now.

When the baby's suckling stops and the formula has diminished within the bottle, Ed carefully removes the damp blanket before diapering the now sleeping child and placing him into an incubator to warm up. Meyer turns to his long-time friend with a sigh, a barrage of unanswered questions assaulting him as he observes as Andrew stares at his wife's unconscious form lying helplessly in the bed. "Tell me your plan," Ed simply says, maintaining a level voice as he shoves aside all convictions he may have. He understands that with the abominable and utterly appalling turn of events, it's best not to provoke any strong reactions out of Andrew right now. The safest solution, then, would be to react as if there's nothing worth reacting to.

"Nelson will take care of the body," Andrew responds detachedly, his gaze unwavering. Unbeknownst to him, the words give rise to an unpleasant shiver down his friend's spine. As he carefully looks over Cora, he continues, his voice filled with love and dedication, "Cora deserves a baby. I did what I had to do to ensure she had one."

Ed swallows thickly, forcing down the bile rising in his throat as the urge to vomit becomes progressively more severe and persistent. This situation has become infinitely worse than he had expected. With his conscience inebriating him slightly, the doctor mentally battles against himself. Ultimately, he decides to disregard the blaring warnings inside his mind and follow through with Andrew's wishes, not that there's much choice in this situation. "Should I wake her?" asks Dr. Meyer, gesturing toward the hospital bed.

With a nod and his lips upturned into a small smile, Andrew replies, "She'll want to see her son."

The very idea of passing Maria's child as Cora's makes Ed hate himself further for his involvement in this disgustingly bizarre and unsavory dilemma; he'd never wanted to be a part of any of this. He mentally admonishes himself for not taking the initiative to prevent this predicament from occurring. He could have said something, done something. He could have informed Andrew of the extent of Maria's instability and scheme against the Daltons, and they could have devised a solution together before things progressed to this. Despite his feelings, the doctor relieves the anesthetic to allow Cora to wake.

The two men stand in utter silence as they await acknowledgment from the woman in the bed, and Ed's mind begins to wander. He wonders if Cora is foolish enough to believe the lies she's about to be fed or if she'll recognize that the child bears an undeniable and rather impeccable resemblance to her husband's former secretary. In the years he's known the couple, he has learned a few things about Cora Dalton. She's a kind woman with incredible empathy and a heart of gold, spreading her cheeriness as far as possible. However, Cora certainly hasn't been very perceptive to Andrew's misgivings; in fact, she has always seemed extraordinarily naïve. Perhaps she won't notice; Andrew's plan could work.

Dr. Meyer is unable to determine whether that's a good or bad thing in this specific scenario. Movement from the bed halts his thoughts and all of his body's natural involuntary functions, as well, as his breath catches in his throat. Raising his gaze to Andrew, Ed observes the beaming smile offered in Cora's direction. Forcing one onto his own lips, although appearing significantly less joyful, he greets his patient smoothly. "Congratulations, Mrs. Dalton," he says, just as he would to any other new mother he'd had the pleasure to assist with birthing her child. "You have a healthy baby boy."

Cora's face lights up instantly, causing an unfamiliar straining sensation in Dr. Meyer's chest. Recovering quickly, he removes the infant from the warmer, carefully passing him to his new mother.

Tears fill Cora's eyes as she gazes adoringly down at the tiny child, holding him lovingly to her chest. "I suppose we'll need to think of a new name," she whispers. "Amelie certainly isn't fit for such a handsome boy."