Chapter 14- Part 1

Maria tiredly plops onto the sofa and props her aching feet up on the coffee table, feeling incredibly exhausted after an emotionally draining day at the office. It's not an unusual occurrence, however; every day at that place seems to take a toll on her, even before her pregnancy was confirmed. With the slight progression of her strategy to secure her grasp on Andrew Dalton, at least now, Maria can finally rest assured that her all-consuming efforts are not entirely in vain. Any advance from this point forward is a positive one, regardless of how small or insignificant it may seem at the time.

Her hand gently rubs her stomach, and her eyes drift shut as she imagines herself in the months to come, her currently flat abdomen stretched and swollen as life grows within her womb--a child created with the man she loves. A slow smile slips easily over Maria's lips as she dazedly visualizes a future with Andrew and their baby; perhaps someday, they'll even have a houseful of tiny Daltons. Wouldn't that be something?

The smile instantly vanishes as the image of a particular blonde nuisance appears, wholly pulverizing her lovely daydream. Cora.

Relaxing the scowl on her face, Maria's thoughts retreat back to her plan to permanently remove the woman from her lover's life. While she had initially plotted to simply eliminate Cora, a much more sinister notion emerges, inclining her to embark on a different path. An unexplainable heaviness fills Maria's chest as her ideas take a twisted turn toward darkness, venturing into the particularly unfamiliar and utterly ominous territory. It's a direction only the wicked could take even the subtlest pleasure in, and Maria wholeheartedly and excitedly anticipates it; the sheer thought of executing such vicious and cruel deeds secretly thrilling her more than she thought possible. It would certainly be more entertaining to destroy her nemesis's life piece by piece before eradicating her entirely.

Pulling her laptop onto her bare legs, she delves into researching; she'll need to collect as much information as possible before pursuing her target. There is absolutely no room for mistakes, not a spec of space for failure here, not when Andrew is on the line. A devious smirk pulls at her mouth. When she's finished with Cora Dalton, the wretch will beg her for death. While Maria may be persuaded to terminate her torment in such a way should the occasion arise, she undoubtedly will not be merciful. No, Cora's demise will be prolonged and excruciatingly painful. It's what the woman deserves, after all, for keeping Maria's beloved Andrew away from her.

Absentmindedly gnawing on her bottom lip, Maria wishes she had more distinguished and worthwhile connections. Having someone on eminent and prominent on her side would undeniably be useful; it would be beneficial to have notable acquaintances who could assist in her grand scheme. Perhaps she will have to investigate the alliances of those closest to her; surely, someone will know people of importance and value to her agenda. With her aptitude for manipulation, she could effortlessly have them eating out of her hand in a matter of mere seconds.

The coppery tang of blood reaches her tongue and registers in her mind, bringing with it the concept of where to begin. It should have been an easy assumption that a doctor would be the logical place to start; one's assistance in such a matter could be highly instrumental. She's sure that since Andrew had so adamantly insisted she doctor with Ed Meyer, the two must be close; it's probable that the doctor is overseeing Cora's pregnancy, as well. Mischief swirls in Maria's eyes, a plan immediately beginning to develop. Having Cora's doctor at her disposal would undoubtedly be a tremendous advantage. Obliterating Cora Dalton and all she holds precious may just be less challenging than Maria had initially expected.

Returning her attention to her computer screen, Maria sighs contentedly, altogether satisfied with herself at the moment. She easily retrieves the information she needs with a quick internet search, entering it into her phone for later use. Replacing the laptop on the coffee table, Maria straightens her clothes before slipping out the front door. Determination sets in, hardening her features and prohibiting any rebellious thoughts or emotions from disrupting her intentions. With her decision made and the chaos that typically runs rampant inside her temporarily dampened, Maria's mind is void of all else.

Before she knows it, her hand repeatedly thumps against the wooden surface as she waits impatiently on the doorstep of a grand house. The door swings open, revealing the startled face of the very man she'd been looking for. "I have a proposition for you," says Maria, her expression remaining stoic as she speaks, giving away nothing of her vindictive plan. Before he can respond, his mouth opening to object to whatever heinous ideas she has, she raises a hand and continues, "I suggest you hear out my proposal entirely before interjecting. Perhaps we'll be able to come to a mutual agreement. A partnership, even."

His lips pressed tightly into a thin line, Ed's eyes rake over the woman before him. He silently debates whether it's in his best interest to humor her; if she had been cunning enough to shackle Andrew Dalton with an unplanned pregnancy, there's no telling the limits of her creativity. With a curt nod, he takes a step back, opening the door wider in the process, inviting Maria inside.

With a devilish grin, she breezes past him before eyeing him again. "Well, close the door, and let's make haste," she says, lifting an eyebrow as she stares at the doctor pointedly. "We certainly have much to discuss and very little time to waste."

Ed's chest tightens, and his heart sinks, suddenly wholly aware of both the grave mistake he's making and the fatal outcome that will likely bestow his old friend and the perfect life he possesses. This woman is far more dangerous than he had originally thought; now, he must make the impossible choice between rescuing Andrew and all he holds dear... or saving himself.