Chapter 14- Part 2

Ed Meyer apprehensively fidgets his fingers as he sits across the room from Maria, perched on the edge of his seat as if he anticipates having to make a quick escape. The entire atmosphere of his comfortable home transformed the moment the woman entered, his usual sense of familiarity and belonging suddenly tarnished. A vexatious darkness surrounds Maria, unapologetically filling the nooks and crannies of his space, destroying the comfort and contentment that previously lingered. Under the intense scrutiny of her unwavering gaze, the doctor hesitates to begin a conversation, hoping desperately that Maria will simply state her purpose and leave.

"I presume you recognize me," she says, lifting a perfectly manicured eyebrow. She carefully gauges Meyer's reaction to her before continuing, "Am I correct to assume you are the physician managing Cora Dalton's prenatal care, as well?"

"I'm not at liberty to divulge that information," he responds almost automatically; this wouldn't be the first time that one patient had asked for the private information of another. However, this time brings an inexplicable sense of dread that pools in the doctor's stomach. "Whether Mrs. Dalton is or isn't under my care is none of your business, Miss Ortiz, and it certainly isn't my place to apprise you of such knowledge."

The suspicious expression on Maria's face has the doctor questioning himself, but he refuses to yield to her threatening demeanor. Even if Andrew Dalton wasn't a friend, Ed is still bound by confidentiality; it's an expectation he has never broken before nor contemplated doing so.

"I see," Maria replies slowly, her tone low and her lips pulling into a thin line. "Unfortunately, Dr. Meyer, that isn't quite the answer I was looking for." She pauses for a moment, the silence between them tense before she sharpens her gaze and asks, "Perhaps we shall try a different approach?"

Gulping audibly, Ed wipes his dampening palms on his pant legs, unsure what the evil woman before him could possibly be up to, yet utterly terrified to find out.

"I'm confident you're a man of morals, Dr. Meyer, especially after your immediate refusal to divulge a potential patient's personal details. I also both understand and admire your desire to remain true to your oath, as well as to be loyal to your friend," says Maria, an undecipherable glint in her eyes. "I wish to ask you, dear doctor," she continues, the dangerous lilt in her voice sending a shiver down the man's spine. "Do you prefer to be threatened into disclosing the necessary information, or would bribery best ensure your compliance?"

Ed takes a moment to absorb the severity of the situation. While she is unquestionably emitting venomous vibes, Maria appears calm and collected as she speaks. Her voice is firm and stable, without a hint of emotion behind it, even if the words falling from her lips are poisonous. It's rather perturbing how poised she seems as if there is nothing indecent about the proposition she's presenting. At a time like this, the doctor wishes he had more background in the art of psychology instead of obstetrics; having an understanding of the mind of a psychopath would be undeniably helpful right now. Clearing his throat, Ed asks, "And what do you plan to do with the information, Miss Ortiz? If my cooperation is so fervently required, at least I should understand why it is necessary, don't you think?"

Several seconds pass as Maria stares blankly at Ed, repressing the rapidly mounting anger stirring just beneath her surface. If she wants him to oblige, she must remain patient with him and appear as unimposing as possible. The feeble old geezer may just croak if she's too harsh with him, and that would undoubtedly foil her plans entirely. With a small sigh, she carefully replies, "Oh, dear. I'm afraid I cannot reveal my intentions quite yet, Doctor. I sincerely hope you'll understand, but until I've gained your compliance, I cannot spoil the plot for you."

As he regards Maria, Meyer remains entirely unconvinced of the charade she's displaying. While her performance is impeccable, he is not a naïve man; he may not recognize the expansive and profound depths of her depravity, but he understands that Maria Ortiz is not a stable woman. This is one of those innate pearls of wisdom that comes with age. "It's rather late, Miss Ortiz," he begins, his voice remaining soft yet voluminous enough to be heard. "Please, allow me to consider your proposal at a much more convenient hour; an old man like myself doesn't function properly without a good night's sleep."

The doctor's words feel like a stinging slap in the face to Maria, one that causes her eyes to flicker and her nostrils to flare, but she doesn't argue. Instead, she obediently agrees, realizing that pushing acquiescence right now may scare away the elderly gentleman. "I apologize, Dr. Meyer," she responds, forcing a tiny smile to her lips. "This was wholly unthoughtful of me." As she stands from her seat on the sofa, she retrieves a card from her purse and extends it to Ed in offering. "Please, do call me when you've made a decision."

Skeptically, he takes the offered card with a slight nod of his head. "Please expect my response before the end of the week," he tells her. He hopes it will be satisfactory enough an answer to relieve him of her presence for now; he'll likely need a priest to rid his home of the sinister energy left behind from her impromptu visit.

"I look forward to hearing from you," Maria says, unspoken warning evident in her words. Before the doctor can provide a response, she hurriedly exits his home, the door clicking shut behind her.

Ed Meyer breathes a sigh of relief as he discards the card into the trashcan on his way upstairs to his bedroom. He falls into slumber, holding onto hope that Maria Ortiz will come to her senses and choose not to interfere with people as consequential as Andrew Dalton. Or, at least, that she'll decide to keep him out of it.