#06 | slow turtle burn

* slow turtle burn bc this book is progressing at sloth's pace for no reason at all *

[ third person ]

---

The next day, school resumed as usual. The two behaved as if they hadn't agreed to something as reckless as that, greeting one another normally. They both would internally fret over the idea of either of them having second thoughts but stopped once they saw the look on each other's face. They didn't look like they were going to back out now.

"Kei, guess what," The girl plopped in the seat in front of him, placing her lunch box on his desk with a gentle plop. She scooted towards him, fixing her skirt to cover her legs properly. When the male didn't answer but simply glanced up to meet her eyes, she continued, "I went out to buy something to drink from the vending machine and I find Hinata-kun and Kageyama-kun fucking dead on the hallway floor because they raced from their classrooms to the vending machines then back. I didn't even notice them until they started arguing about who won, even though I clearly was the victor since I made it this far."

"What a bunch of idiots. You included." The blond sighed exasperatedly as he pulled his bento out, placing it on the desk beside hers. Unwrapping the cloth around it, he visibly perked up when he saw his favorite foods inside the bento.

"That's some rude shit." She muttered as she undid the knot on her bento, opening it to reveal a simple meal made by her mother earlier that morning. As she picked up the small pieces of chicken inside the container with her hands, she glanced around for the familiar green haired boy. "Where's Yamaguchi? He's always disappearing these days."

Tsukishima wrinkled his nose in disgust at her lack of etiquette when there were chopsticks right in front of her. "Don't eat with your hands. It's disgusting," he berated with a small scowl, "and Yamaguchi went to the nurse because he had a stomach ache."

"You sure he ain't just avoiding me because I told him that I was going to eat him if he got any cuter than he already was?" The girl pursed her lips at the thought, earning a curt shake of the head from Tsukishima who was partially weirded out that she would even say that. "It was a joke because he reminds me of a hamburger bun with little seeds on top."

"Didn't ask."

"Edgy."

"Thanks."

Silence fell over the two of them. The food they ate was so delicious that they were lost in the noiseless moment that followed a good meal. Nothing seemed to bother them for that brief amount of time. Until some asshat decided to slam the classroom door open and scream about a spider in the hall.

"Jeez." The girl turned around to face Tsukishima after being startled from the sudden shout. "These losers can't even handle a spider. HA!"

He cocked a brow, reaching up to flick her forehead when she was getting too full of herself. Tsukishima pointed out, "You were literally crying yesterday because Nii-chan found a lizard on the floor next to your shoes."

The mere mention of the L word made her expression fall, morphing into a look of pure despair. She covered her face with her hands, squeaking strangely. "Stop, don't remind me about that atrocity. I would bleach my brain if I could."

"Atrocity? Big word coming from an idiot whose vocabulary is limited to shut up and other words a grade-schooler would use." He rested his cheek against his loosely closed fist, smirking when her jaw dropped with offense. Tsukishima reached up to poke the tip of her nose. "Don't tell me you're angry~" He taunted mischievously.