#18 | i seriously fucked up

* hi hi :) look at me updating more often hehe. im actually keeping my word these days <3 how are you guys? tell me anything :) *

[ third person ]
---

The silence in the room was way louder than intended. The scraping of utensils on the plates were loud and cringe inducing as the two families ate together in this quiet silence that was rather unpleasant.

Tsukishima's mother, Hitomi, laughed softly and clasped her hands together, looking in the direction of the kids who were strangely quiet for once. "[y/n]-chan, I haven't seen you in a while. Are you doing well?"

The [h/c] haired girl jumped slightly, glancing at Tsukishima before looking at his mother. She swallowed her food awkwardly and nodded with a small smile. "I'm okay, Aunty. I've been really busy these days, so I don't go anywhere."

Tsukishima shifted in his seat, scoffing under his breath as he swiftly brought his cup to his lips to sip the water that was going warm. The noise went unnoticed by the girl beside him who had been too focused on what his mother was saying.

To anyone else, this dining arrangement might've seemed random but truthfully, it was.

A few hours prior to the dinner, [y/n] had arrived home from school on a boring Friday afternoon. She had nothing better to do today so she decided to head upstairs to take a nap and begin the homework she was assigned throughout the week. Unfortunately, her mother had caught her before she went upstairs and informed her last minute of a dinner they would be having with the Tsukishima's in less than two hours.

It had been almost a week since that night when Tsukishima had snapped at her, calling her annoying for just trying to ask him if he was okay. It was way too awkward to approach him whenever they saw each other at school, and he was making it pretty clear that he didn't want to be around her, which is why she stopped trying to talk to him.

"I don't have to go, right?" The girl asked desperately. If she could manage to avoid him for the rest of her life, it would save her from finding out if he truly thought she was annoying or a bother. It's way too awkward now.

As you can tell based on where she was currently seated now, she had to go to the dinner. It turned out just as she expected—awkward as fuck. [y/n] being forced to sit beside him didn't help either.

"You guys seem awfully quiet today." His mother said with a small laugh, assuming it was nothing more than the two of them being in a mood. She had been noticing Tsukishima was behaving a little strangely as of late and chose to wait a bit longer to ask about it.

Tsukishima stood up with his plate in hands, muttering something about being done with his food and retreating to the kitchen to wash his dishes before heading upstairs. Once he was gone, the table began resuming their conversation while [y/n] quietly ate in silence. They were all grown ups talking about old people things that she had no interest in considering her mind was spinning in circles at the thought of Tsukishima and his words.

He was just way too confusing.

"Are you done?" Akiteru asked after noticing the girl picking at the scraps on her plate for the last five minutes. Her eyes were hazy and she was unfocused on her surroundings now that Tsukishima had left her alone at the table. She wasn't necessarily bored, but it may have been perceived that way with the way she fiddled with her hands.

"Ah... Yeah."

Hitomi momentarily ceased her conversation with [y/n]'s mother and smiled joyfully. "You can go hang out in Kei's room for a while. He's probably just studying right now, so I don't think he'll mind."