#09 | what the fuck

* me looking at the amount of days i haven't updated: "is this who we are? is this what we represent?" *

[ third person ]

---

"Tsukki, let's eat lunch." Yamaguchi exclaimed as he appeared the blond's side with a bento wrapped in a plain furoshiki that his mother had packed and wrapped for him. Much to his dismay, Tsukishima didn't reply, eyeing his table as if he was trying to read its mind. "Tsukki?"

His head snapped upwards, eyes widening slightly in a manner that showed that he hadn't even realized Yamaguchi was standing there. The blond made an effort to hide his surprise, feigning irritation with a long sigh. "What do you want, Yamaguchi?"

The freckled boy held up his bento with an easy grin. "Lunch," answered Yamaguchi.

"Where's, uh," He trailed off, looking around the classroom for the [h/c] girl who was supposed to be seated at the desk a few spaces away from him. Instead, he found it empty with no sign of her presence anywhere.

Yamaguchi spoke up with a small chuckle before Tsukishima could finish his sentence. The freckled boy already knew who he was referring to with that simple statement. "[y/n]-chan is eating with Hinata and Kageyama today."

He cocked an eyebrow at the statement. "Why?" His tone came off a bit curt, making the shorter boy's smile slightly falter for a second as he sat down in the seat in front of Tsukishima. It was a spot that was usually reserved for [y/n] but since she didn't occupy it today, Yamaguchi took it upon himself to plop there. He placed his bento on the blond's desk, unwrapping it since he assumed that they'd be eating here based on the way his friend made no moves to get up.

"She said something about Kageyama knowing a lot about Oikawa-san from Aoba Johsai, so she's spending lunch with him to find out more." Yamaguchi's soft pink lips parted as a chuckle escaped his mouth, filling the silence between the two of them. His apple of his cheeks were raised when he grinned, diffidently staring back at his friend who narrowed his eyes. "Does she have a crush on him? That's what Hinata said, but he could be lyin-"

"She does," scoffed Tsukishima who crossed his arms over his chest with a long sigh that made the green haired boy laugh. "What's so funny?"

"Your crush on her is so obvious." The instant those words left his mouth, he seemed to realized what he had said. The color in his face drained and the smile on his face turned into an ajar frown as his hands shot up to defend himself. "Sorry, Tsukki! I meant that you, uh, you know-"

Tsukishima tutted. "Just shut up, Yamaguchi."

"Sorry, sorry." An uncomfortable silence fell over the two who ate their lunch quietly, not really knowing what to say after that small exchange. I mean, Yamaguchi was having a thousand—no, a billion—thoughts about the lack of denial towards his question.

In all honestly, Yamaguchi knew Tsukishima better than he knew himself. They had been friends for so long that he knew how to decipher the blond's emotions and phrases because he was never upfront about them. After all these years, he could sense something had happened between Tsukishima and [y/n] to cause a disturbance within their friendship whether it was a good thing or not.

The look on Tsukishima face whenever [y/n] was brought up was enough to clue Yamaguchi in on what was happening in his best friend's heart. He could be considered a great wingman if the blond let him help out in any way he could.

Clearing his throat, Yamaguchi smiled up at his friend who raised an eyebrow at him. "Have you and [y/n]-chan gotten closer lately? You both seem a little different as of recently."