Prologue

Everyone has secrets. People don't know all of their own secrets, let alone the secrets of the rest of the world.

I always believed that I knew everything about myself.

I couldn't have been farther from the truth.

I always wanted to know where I came from.

Why my mother left me, separated me from my brother.

I would soon realize that I would have been better off not knowing.

Secrets tend to destroy people from the inside out. Knowing secrets is the same thing, for once you know the truth, you can't hide behind the lie. Everyone wants honesty, but most people can't handle their truth. They can't handle the truth about themselves.

Some things are better off left unsaid, and I wish I'd realized that before it was too late.

**********

14 years ago...

She ran through the woods dragging the little girl along with her. The sounds of yelling in the distance causing her to tighten her grip on the girl's hand. The girl whimpered slightly as she tried to keep up with her mother.

"Not much longer baby," She said to her daughter.

They kept running until at last they came upon clearing in the woods. The mother came to a stop, breathing heavily. She turned and knelt down to look at her daughter in the eyes.

"Ok baby," She took a deep breath as she wiped away her daughter's tears. "Mama has to leave you now."

"Where Bubba?" Her daughter said, sniffling. The mother sighed as she looked at the storm coming rapidly towards them.

"Bubba is in a safe place, and you will be too." The mother reassured her daughter. The girl had tears streaming down her pale skin, her white blonde hair was covered in dirt and twigs from running through the woods. Her beautiful eyes, one green, one blue were glistening with unshed tears. The mother's heart broke seeing her little girl so upset, but this was necessary for both her children to be safe.

"Is the bad woman chasing us?" The mother tried not to get frustrated with her darling girl, she just wanted answers, but they did not have time.

"Yes, and I need to leave you to keep you safe." Her daughter started crying louder.

"I don't wanna leave you Mama," She cried, and her mother couldn't stop herself from tearing up. Separating and leaving her children was one of the hardest decisions she's had to make.

"I know baby, but I have to."

"Leah," a whisper drew the mother's attention away from her daughter. Leah was not her actual name, it was just the name she used to keep under the radar. She had been running from her past for so long now, and it was finally catching up with her.

"Colton," She breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of her trusted friend. "We don't have much time."

"I know, is this her?" Colton gestured at the little girl hiding behind Leah's leg.

"Yes, this is my daughter." She said as she picked her daughter up and into her arms. "Sweetie, this is Colton, he is going to take care of you now." At this Colton waved with a soft smile. The girl just hid her face in her mother's shoulder.

"I don't wanna go with him, I wanna stay with you and bubba." The girl cried. Leah kissed the top of her daughter's head, tears brimming in her eyes.

"I'm sorry baby," Leah squeezed her daughter tight before handing her off to Colton. The little girl cried as she was taken away from the protective hold of her mother. "Mama will always love you, always remember that."

"Take care of my baby, Colton." Leah said as she handed a letter to him. "Give this to her when she's an adult."

"I swear I will treat her as I would my own Leah." Colton swore solemnly before sending Leah a soft smile. With that he turned away and ran into the woods.

Leah would never forget the sounds of her daughter crying her name as they ran away. Both her children were safe in different packs, packs that she would never think to look in. She watched them run away into the distance, and disappear through a border.

"One day you and your brother will be able to control your own destiny Artemis Zapherius." She whispered under her breath as she turned around to face the rapidly approaching voices. Leah took a breath as she prepared to face the woman who had destroyed her life out of jealousy. She felt a certain amount of solace as she prepared to meet what would probably be her end.

Both of her babies were safe.

She would never find them. 

********

A/N

I gave you a prologue today because I felt it would be good for building suspension! I hope you enjoyed! 

Also tomorrow is @laeeqalmfao birthday! I hope you have an amazing day and enjoy this book!

See you next week loves! 

~Phoebs 💞💞💞