Chapter 21: "I think you did that yourself, Aiden."

It was finally time for the ceremony

After going into Alpha Clark's office to calm down, I spent the rest of the day preparing for the ceremony. I had managed to avoid running into Aiden, and Orion had barely left my side, which was starting to get on my nerves.

"Orion, you can leave, I'm fine," I sighed as we walked towards the ceremony grounds. Orion wouldn't be able to be with me during the ceremony, as I had to be protecting the people up at the altar.

"I was given strict orders not to leave your side," Orion puffed out his chest, his eyes constantly moving as he kept an eye on our surroundings. "Alpha said." I rolled my eyes, I was tired of this day.

"Well, now your future Alpha is ordering that you return to your post." Orion and I stopped dead at the sound of Aiden's voice behind us. We turned around to face him.

Stay calm, stay calm.

"My post is beside my Zeta," Orion said, stepping in front of me slightly. I spotted Aiden clenching his knuckles, a sure sign that he was about to explode.

"Carter, leave now," Aiden growled, a hint of his Alpha power in his voice. I barely reacted to it, but I saw Orion's head bow even as he tried to fight the natural instinct to submit.

"Orion, it's okay," Orion turned to look at me, his head shaking slightly. I nodded subtly. "I'll be fine, go to your post, we'll see you at the ceremony."

"You heard her," Aiden said, sounding smug. "Be a good dog and listen to your mistress." I growled softly as Orion stiffened.

Orion go, I'll be fine. I mindlinked my best friend. The one who has been with me throughout everything. Every moment when I was being bullied for being a female warrior, or the first time I got into a fight with my parents. He was always by my side. Asking him to leave was going against every protective instinct he had.

I don't like this. He replied, his eyebrows creasing in worry.

I know, but you have to. I sent back, smiling softly at him. He looked at me for a second longer before reluctantly walking past me.

Aiden and I waited in silence as Orion walked away. When his footsteps had faded enough for Aiden's ears, he started walking closer to me, hands in his pocket.

"My darling, you've made such a mess of things," He shook his head as he got closer to me. I backed away ever so slowly, my hand subtly releasing a dagger from my sleeve. Just in case.

"I think you did that yourself, Aiden," I said slowly, my eyes following his movements closely.

"I'm not the one running away," He came to a stop right in front of me.

"Oh I'm sorry," I scoffed. "Did you expect me to reject my mate for you?" Aiden's jaw tightened. I smiled harshly. "Oh yes let me reject a potentially loving relationship so I can stay with your abusive ass. Not to mention you blackmailed me and are a chauvinistic piece of shit, oh yeah and the teeny tiny fact that you raped me. But of course let me stay with you instead of my actual mate, who may actually have a decent bone in his body." I said sarcastically.