Chapter 27: "Small, steady steps."

Five minutes later, Ryder and I pulled up to the gas station, where the rest were waiting

Five minutes later, Ryder and I pulled up to the gas station, where the rest were waiting. I hopped off the bike and gestured for Ryder to hand me my bow and arrow.

I still couldn't believe the way my body had reacted to his hand on my thigh. My thigh?! I had never experienced that feeling in my stomach before, my sister would have called it 'butterflies.' That was the most apt description for it, that simple touch had my stomach fluttering.

"I told you it was five minutes, brother," I said, flipping my visor up and opening the trunk of Apollo's car and throwing my quiver and arrow in there. It was too risky having all these old weapons out in the open. Any human could be a supernatural hunter, and that was definitely not something I wanted to deal with right now. Luckily my cape covered my swords, so I didn't have to get rid of those either.

"At what speed," Apollo asked, his face tight as he looked at me from where he was perched on his car. Even when we were four, he had been the more careful one. It's how I ended up with this thin, jagged scar down the right side of my face, as well as why my hair had turned this white blonde colour. It used to be the same colour as my brothers. The scar was close to my hairline, so fairly unnoticeable but still a permanent reminder of how reckless I was, even as a child.

"Oh, loosen up a little," I gave him a look as I removed my helmet. "Don't tell me you've never driven fast in that car." I gestured to the fine piece of machinery that my brother was driving.

"He doesn't," I turned to look at Lewis who was standing with his arms wrapped around Ruby. "He drives slightly faster than the speed limit, but he never goes on a joy ride." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm sorry that I care about safety," Apollo protested as I shook my head.

"Well we're here in one piece," I said, giving Ryder a look when he scoffed slightly. He winked at me, mouthing the words 'I'm kidding,' I rolled my eyes with a slight smile.

"What's the game plan, then?" Orion asked, holding a bag of chips in his arms. Of course he would have some food. I walked over towards him and stole from the bag. "Hey! These are mine."

"I was hungry," I shrugged. "And in terms of a plan, I have no idea. This is no longer in my control." I looked at Ryder, hoping that he would see this as a big step. I was looking for help, not trying to do everything by myself. To be fair, I had absolutely no fucking clue we were going, but still I think its progress.

Small, steady steps.

"Well, we have a ten hour drive ahead of us," Ryder said, putting his hands in his pocket as he thought. "I don't want to do too many stops but one will be required for gas. So I guess Binna can drive with Orion or Lewis for the second half of the journey, and if need be I will take over driving from Artemis." I withheld a scoff, fat chance he'd be riding my baby. "Artemis and I will take the lead, with Apollo in the middle, and Orion and Lewis bringing up the rear. How long until we need gas?" Ryder inquired.