Three

Varick frowned slightly at the place around him, nose wrinkling. There was nothing wrong with an entity occupying run-down or abandoned places, per-se, in fact it was extremely common. Young supernatural entities usually stayed in their area of origin for up to two years before branching out, or if they were localized, never left at all. Varick himself still sometimes returned to the ghostly 1920's mansion he had originated from.

But Kodiak wasn't a localized demon anymore. He was Bloody Mary's nephew, and much like the archdemon, his game was becoming more widespread. He didn't have to stay in the falling-in house with no electricity or running water, and frankly it was bad for him. Varick had questioned letting him reside here from the beginning, but Bloody Mary had reasoned that understanding his place of origin would help him, and his favorite mirror would be there.

Out loud, Varick would list any number of reasons as to why he believed Kodiak needed a better place to dwell in, but he knew for a fact that he was worried solely about the little ghost's comfort and health. He had already let Kodiak stay here too long. This house wasn't a proper place for the child to reside around the clock. For training, maybe. As a permanent living space, it was proving detrimental. He brought up Kodiak's habit of discorporating, and Bloody Mary conceded.

Taking a deep breath and steeling himself for the emotional turmoil that was about to happen, Varick stood at the bottom of the stairs and rapped his cane powerfully against the banister, gazing upwards. His frown deepened as he saw how badly the banister and railing wobbled. That surely wasn't safe...

Kodiak appeared at the top of the stairs, squinting with his hands in his hoodie and hair plastered sideways at an odd angle. He'd been asleep. Varick tried not to let his face twitch and reveal his amusement at the sight. It was oddly endearing.

Varick watched calmly as his charge thumped down the steps, though he was wondering if any of those rotten boards would snap underneath his feet. At the bottom of the stairs in the main room, Kodiak finally removed his hands from his pockets to smooth his hair back and watched Varick expectantly.

"Kodiak, how attached are you to this place?" Varick began.

He looked uneasy at the cautious tone. "My mirror is here..."

Varick shook his head, "Yes, I know that child, but how do you feel about it?"

nfuriatingly, he shrugged in an unsure manner, "I know it... I feel safe inside..."

Varick cracked his neck, and the noise seemed to echo. "My point is, you need a different place to be your permanent abode. You will be bringing your mirror and any belongings you like with you, but it is my strong recommendation that you only return here for the purposes of your game or training."

That produced the response Varick had been dreading. Kodiak was anxious, he disliked the thought of new situations or anything he was unfamiliar with. The poltergeist's shoulders immediately hunched inwards and the nervousness in the air was palpable due to his aura.

And the damn puppy-dog eyes.

They were insufferably convincing, and Varick had found his iron will bending to their influence more than once. It wasn't any sort of magical ability, lords and ladies no, the little thing was just good at it and Varick had a growing soft spot for him. He was getting old.

"I'm not barring you from returning here, an entity's place of origin is of sentimental importance, but you need a more appropriate place to dwell. This place is, frankly, unsafe and inhospitable." Varick explained, staring at the area just above Kodiak's right shoulder to avoid that solem, doe-eyed gaze. Bloody Mary had entrusted Kodiak to Varick so the poltergeist wouldn't get spoiled, but she may have underestimated her nephew's ability to look positively pitiful. The absolute worst part? He did it unconsciously, completely on accident.

"What... do you mean?" He asked eventually, and Varick felt the hard line of his shoulders slacken slightly in relief. He was getting somewhere.

"This place is fine for you to play your games in, but it's unsuitable for living. I want you to be comfortable Kodiak, have you ever even been in a working house before? With electricity and running water and a floor that doesn't sag?" Varick replied.

"Does... the movie theatre... count?" he asked curiously, brow knitting as he raised a hand to pick at his chapped lower lip.

Varick heaved a sigh and lifted his eyes to stare at the ceiling. "Ramsey?"

"Ramsey."

"Alright, while it's similar, not quite." Varick said, clasping his hands over the top of his cane, "You remember Mary's house, don't you?"

Kodiak frowned slightly and squinted into space as he tried to recall, "What... Auntie's place? A little..." He hadn't spent much time there, most of what he remembered was sleeping on his Aunt's lap in what he knew must have been different rooms, but he was so new and unfocused that he only truly paid any attention to the presence that was her and she hadn't been eager to let him out of arm's reach either.

"Trust me," He said, "It's better than here."

Kodiak eyed Varick with a dubious frown and asked, "You said I could... bring my Mirror... right?"

Varick's gaze softened, "Of course Kodiak, it's your Mirror. You're a mirror ghost. I wouldn't dream of taking it away from you, it's your right to have it."

The young poltergeist closed his eyes and pursed his lips but nodded. "If... you're sure... Then I... trust you."

His mentor put a hand on his shoulder, "Everything will be alright Kodiak, I promise."