Twenty Four

Sasha shivered. She'd been on edge since she got home, but she also had that test in biology tomorrow so the jitters weren't unusual. But it was a little weird how cold the house was.

"The heater must be busted somewhere, I'll work on it tomorrow." her father had said, "For now, put on a sweater. I have to attend a meeting with a client tonight, but I'll be back later, okay?"

"Alright dad."

After he left, alone in the house, Sasha constantly felt eyes on her. She had been really paranoid since that whole... thing, down in the subway, so it wasn't abnormal, but it still made her skin crawl. Sometimes she woke up gasping, the memory of that demon's moodless face in her nightmares. From what she knew, what she had heard and seen, demons usually killed with a type of passion, some fervor, they had fun or they were angry.

He was just empty.

Shaking her head and willing the thoughts from her mind, she went into the bathroom. She had to clean off her makeup before she went to bed.

Taking a deep breath and holding it to steel herself, Sasha put a hand on the towel they used to cover the mirror, and pulled it away. She breathed out again. Honestly, half the time she expected any reflective surface she came across to have another demon in it.

Picking up the makeup wipes, she turned back to the mirror, then froze.

"Hey... long time... no see."

She dropped them.

"I've been doing... a lot of thinking." His voice was smooth and normal, but had a slight reverb, and he halted in the middle of his sentences.

She responded out of pure shock, "About what?"

"You."

Swallowing thickly, she said, "Well surely you get summoned all the time, what's so different about me?"

The lights flickered, and when they came back on he was leaning out of the mirror, hands planted on either side of the sink. "You... burned me Sasha... that hurt." he hissed, his teeth clenched. She didn't even want to know how he knew her name.

The world became dark for a moment longer. His face had relaxed again, null and void. He was reaching for her. "Do you know... what the other side of a mirror is like?" His fingertips brushed her face, and she saw her breath cloud in the air. "It's very... cold."