Twenty One

Kodiak woke up a few hours later, and immediately wished he'd just managed to stay asleep. The skin on the left side of his face was hot and stung uncomfortably, and his eye ached from where that mortal Sasha had stuck her damn fingers in it.

Sasha Vance. Kodiak had heard the other girl say that name. He'd remember it. He didn't get angry very often, but as his consciousness pooled back into his head so did a chest-tightening resentment.

Groaning in discomfort, he went to roll over onto his side, but paused when he heard voices. Reopening his eyes reluctantly, Kodiak looked around blurrily. He hadn't been here earlier, but his anxiety was quelled when he recognized the sick ward from the tour of the house.

Some people were talking just outside the door. Ignoring the piercing headache, he sat up and listened,

"He's going to have to recover for the next week or so, but his regeneration ability is remarkably quick for such a young entity. It was only brief contact, so he'll only have minimal scarring, if any at all." Cobalt's voice.

"Did he say anything about what happened?" Kodiak felt his stomach drop. Varick.

Cobalt hesitated. "Well... He was in a bit of a state when he reentered the manor, and was only inside for a few minutes before he discorporated again. Mentioning that, I'm pretty impressed actually, did you teach him how to teleport that far?"

"No, I believe he taught himself that one, he's never done it before. But I understand." What came net was an uncharacteristic pause, as if Varick had to collect himself. "Would I be able to go in and check on him? I am aware that you are a perfectly adept doctor, but he is my charge, I'm afraid I always become unduly concerned when it comes to him."

"Oh, of course sir, but he might still be asleep, as he did exert himself pretty hard." Cobalt said, already opening the door. His eyes met Kodiak's, (one of which was mostly bandaged and half-swelled shut), "Oooorrrr he's awake! I'm a tad surprised, I thought you'd be out a little longer than a couple hours."

Kodiak made a noncommittal noise in the back of his throat that sounded like a death rattle and Varick entered the room, crossing over to stand before him. They stared at each other for a long moment.

"Do you remember what happened?"

The air cracked, and Kodiak's aura tried to spill out into it, but it was so weak that it was hardly there, all his energy exhausted. But there was one thing that didn't take much energy for Kodiak, his face twisting into a scowl even as the movement agitated the burns. The mucid, clammy feeling of his weakened aura weighed down the air, and disembodied whispers began in earnest. Varick cocked his head to listen.

"Three mortals... two killed... the survivor, a monster hunter's daughter..." he picked out, muttering the words aloud to himself. The whispers were slightly hard to decipher, but he could extrapolate the key words from hearing Kodiak do this so often. "Jewelry... Sasha Vance. Got away." A small smile appeared on Varick's face as Kodiak's aura died away again. "Are we feeling a little vindictive, Kodiak?"

Kodiak's scowl deepened. Varick chuckled, and careful of the left side of his charge's face, cupped the back of Kodiak's head in that strange substitute for a hug. "It doesn't seem like any lasting damage done. If you still feel you would like some retribution when Dr. Cobalt clears you for training again, then you shall have it. It's no good letting mortals think they can get away with slights. But for now," His face became stern again. "You will rest. I don't want to hear from your Chaperones that you've played another game until you are completely healed, do you understand me?"

His charge nodded, if somewhat reluctantly, and Varick let out a small sigh, "Good. I have to go now and attend some business, but I will be back on Saturday as planned. You've had an eventful week, Kodiak."