Chapter 17: Arrest

Arc 2: Dead Man's Chest

One year later

Annalise stood in the alcove with her father, finally getting out of the pouring rain at Governor Swann's desperate pleas. Elizabeth stayed out in the rain, unmoving from her place by the altar that had been set up in the beautiful chapel garden.

It had been hours.

The day had begun as could be imagined on such a day, people gathering excitedly and praising the good weather. But as time passed and the clouds slowly rolled in, they had all grown anxious. Finally, Governor Swann had sent off their guests, apologizing and accepting sympathies in return as one by one, everyone left.

Through it all, Annalise had stayed beside her sister's side, even when the first drops of rain started to fall. It was, perhaps, for the best that the sky cried as it did – for no tears were shed by the waiting bride.

"He'll come." Elizabeth had said assuredly. "He'll come."

And Annalise had agreed... until she could deny it no longer. Will wasn't coming.

Not that Annalise thought he'd gotten cold feet and run away, or anything of the sort: even if it wasn't obvious that he loved Elizabeth, Will was far more honorable than that. But she was seriously beginning to wonder if something hadn't happened; and if she shouldn't go to get him.

At last, Governor Swann's heartbreaking appeals for his daughters to come in out of the rain got to Annalise. Leaving her pale, shivering, but determined sister with a soft kiss to the temple, Annalise returned to her father's side, with the pitter-patter of the rain falling on the delicate wedding china as the only sound to accompany her.

"Annalise, I insist we fetch your sister." Governor Swann persisted, but his younger daughter shook her head once more.

"She won't come, not until Will gets here." Annalise answered grimly. "I'm starting to think I really should go see if something has happened to Will, papa."

"Really, I should have known young Turner would do this." Governor Swann sighed in frustration, but again Annalise shook her head.

"No, we both know Will wouldn't purposely leave Lizzie." Annalise pointed out. "Something must have happened. And I intend to find out what, before Lizzie catches her death of a cold."

"Well, let us get you warmed up a bit first if you must go." Governor Swann interjected.

"I'd rather leave right away, papa." Annalise noted, but Governor Swann was firm as he shook his head and stated: "I will not have both you and your sister fall ill because of this matter – let's get you dressed warmly, and then you may go."

Annalise sighed but, glancing down at her gown, she was forced to concede. The once white bridesmaid dress, thinner and lighter than the heavy gold dress Elizabeth donned, was filthy at the bottom from all the mud and rain, and the material was sticking closely to her already chilled body.

"Quickly though, papa." Annalise said firmly, and Governor Swann made a noise of exasperation but nodded in reluctant agreement.

With one last look at her sister's back, Annalise turned and hurried away to put on something warmer if she could find it. And then she'd go find Will and figure out what on earth could be keeping him on his own wedding day.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Annalise's question was answered in the most unlikely and grim manner when she returned to the church garden with her father.

An entire regiment of soldiers from the ETC itself stood in the alcoves blocking their view, shielded from the rain as thunder rumbled and lightning crackled in the distance.