Chapter 33 Return

Annalise reached out instinctively for her friend as Will started to sink helplessly. His flailing hand caught hers but then he tugged; and Annalise gasped, losing precious air as her one hand on the railings slipped and she fell with Will.

Elizabeth screamed silently as she reached for her sister and fiance but they were already falling. Gibbs also turned in dismay to watch as Annalise and Will sank further, unable to stop their fall as the sinking ship created a suction that they couldn't fight. The first mate then sagged in relief as Annalise tumbled into the ratlines where she clung on - but Will fell on past them.

Annalise reached for him again but Will was too far; spotting a free-floating line, she shoved it as hard as she could in the hopes that it would reach him. The rope fell short but Will forced himself to turn and turn, propelling himself toward the drifting rope and finally he caught hold. Annalise blinked, trying to stay conscious as dark spots started to appear in her vision from the lack of air all while the ocean itself drew steadily darker and darker as the sun sank slowly below the horizon.

'I'm not going to make it.' Annalise thought in despair as the sun continued to dip far too slowly and her lungs screamed for air. 'Mother... Papa...'

And then the world went black as the sun dropped completely out of sight.

At that same instant, there was a flash of green light and Annalise choked as the ship shook before suddenly it started to rise sharply from the bottom up as though a geyser had hit the bottom of the ship and was forcing it up. Annalise ducked her head just as Will floated close enough to her to grab hold of her and together they clung against the ratlines as the ship broke through the water's surface. It was like being hit with a bat as they suddenly broke out of the sea and Annalise would have lost her grip and fallen if Will hadn't been holding onto her by the waist tightly, his arm locked around her as he gripped both hands tightly on the ropes that were their only savior.

As it was, they were left gasping and coughing up water as they clung to the ratlines as the water splashed and sloshed below before streaming out the sides of the ship and back into the sea. Below them, the crew all lay spluttering on the wet deck, strewn about from where they had been tossed like rag dolls in the ship's ascent; but none of them cared as they all blinked the salt water out of their eyes and stared out at the horizon where the sun had just finished cresting over the edge of the world.

"We're back." Annalise gasped and Will huffed as he dropped his arm from her waist where he had been holding her tightly. "We actually made it."

Will sputtered out water before he looked down. Realizing they weren't that far off the deck, he dropped down like a sack of potatoes, struggling to remain on his feet as his wet clothes weighed his already exhausted body down. Annalise attempted to clamber down more carefully; but her shaking arms and legs soon had her landing in a graceless heap on the deck not far from Will. Elizabeth, whose eyes had been seeking her loved ones desperately, looked over at the noise and relief flooded her face before the guilt came crashing back down.

She paused mid-step to going to Will, who saw her hesitation; looking away with a locked jaw to fight his disappointment, he bent down to help Annalise up to her feet. She staggered upright just as Barbossa - who had been washed up not far from them - also got to his feet and stared out at the horizon for a moment. He smiled briefly as he appreciated the beautiful picture the streaks of pink and yellow threw onto the ocean; before he whirled around, pulling his pistol, and cocked the weapon at Jack's head.

Will, Elizabeth, Annalise and Gibbs reacted instantly, all three pulling their own pistols and pointing it at Barbossa where he stood almost completely circled by them. Barbossa glared and pulled a second pistol on Annalise, who scowled at him. Jack pulled his own pistol hastily and pointed it at... Will.