Chapter 2 Meeting

Annalise stepped out onto the second floor landing, finding it difficult to maintain her balance. It literally took all her training to keep her back straight and to walk in her heels with her head lined up 'like a swan' (the joke hadn't been lost on her and Elizabeth) as she headed towards the stairs to the first floor.

She could hear voices below, and Annalise quickly pinpointed one to be her father and the other to be, to her surprise, Will.

"Will?" Annalise called in surprise as she stepped out onto the staircase and spotted the dark-haired young man standing beside her father, who was wielding a beautiful sword that left little doubt as to why Will was here.

"Oh, Annalise, you look beautiful." Her father praised, beaming as he looked up at his youngest daughter with pride.

Will was also looking surprised as he noted her posh dress and her hair curled femininely into a neat half-up hairdo with a delicate bonnet to complete the look.

"An-?" He began in surprise, before catching himself and greeting more deferentially: "Miss Swann."

"Mr. Turner." Annalise teased as she reached the bottom of the stairs and walked over, glancing at the sword curiously. "What do you have there?"

"Oh, I was just showing the Governor my - my master's -," Will quickly corrected, "latest creation. I understand it is for the new Commodore."

"Ah." Annalise nodded, leaning in to examine the sword more closely and noting the gold filigree laid into the handle. "Oh, Will, it's beautiful."

"And perfectly balanced." The blacksmith added, nodding to where Annalise could see the tang was nearly the full width of the blade.

She recalled Will lecturing about this before in one of their informal lessons, and she smiled as she praised: "Very impressive. The maker must be very proud."

She glanced at Will teasingly, and he hid a smile while Governor Swann said sternly: "Yes, well, that's enough I'd say, Annalise."

She grinned at Will behind her father's back as he turned back to Will, sheathing the blade as he commented: "Commodore Norrington is going to be very pleased with this."

Will smiled as he placed the sword carefully back into its case, pleased with their praises, though Annalise had to hide a cough of embarrassment as her father added: "Do pass my compliments on to your master, hmm?"

Will looked back up, spotting Annalise as she grimaced apologetically from behind her father's shoulder. To his credit, his expression never faltered as he said to Governor Swann warmly: "I shall. A craftsman is always pleased to hear his work is appreciated."

He smiled, and the Governor returned the gesture, when the sound of heels and ruffling of a dress from above made them all glance up towards the stairs once more. Annalise smiled as she saw her sister, looking incredible in a golden-coloured dress with her hair done in a similar fashion to Annalise's.

"Oh, Elizabeth," their father sighed contently, "you look absolutely stunning."

Annalise had to hide a smile as she noted Elizabeth seemed to be having the same difficulty walking that she'd had, though with all their upbringing it was very difficult to detect for anyone else. She doubted even Will could tell – though, to be fair, he was so absorbed by his love for Elizabeth that he would hardly notice an earthquake happening around them. And he wasn't the only one enamoured.

Annalise hid another smile as Elizabeth's face lit up and she breathed: "Will! It's so good to see you."

She hurried down the steps, and Annalise hid a laugh as she saw Will swallow as he watched Elizabeth's approach. Elizabeth barely noticed the rest of them as she came to a stop before Will, saying excitedly: "I had a dream about you last night."