Chapter 31: Truth

It was a much calmer - ironically given where they likely were - but no less disgruntled group that stumbled onto the white beach, coughing up sea water.

Gibbs squinted against the blinding sun, staring at the massive sand dunes that were all that they could see for miles around unless one counted the equally endless ocean they had just left behind.

"This truly is a god forsaken place." The first mate muttered.

Annalise wiped the water from her face, and she frowned as she also stared at the island they'd been washed up on.

"There's really nothing here. Not even a breeze." She mumbled.

Elizabeth however was scanning the island almost anxiously as she said in a tight voice, "I don't see Jack. I don't see anyone."

"He's here." Barbossa answered as he strode up the beach beside the trio, his wide brimmed hat providing some minor shade for his eyes as he squinted into the distance. "Davy Jones never once gave up that what he took."

"And does it matter?" Will snapped, coming up behind the captain with a fierce scowl on his face. "We're trapped here by your doing. No different than Jack."

Annalise however was staring at Jack the monkey - who was clutching the charts, and she had to admire the cleverness of the creature. The monkey in turn was staring at what appeared to be a trail of crabs that were skittering their way... to Tia Dalma?

Annalise frowned in confusion, her bewilderment only increasing as Tia Dalma stroked one of the white crabs while she said mysteriously, "Witty Jack is closer than you think."

"What do you-?" Annalise began before she fell silent in shock as they saw familiar black sails appearing over the dunes.

"The... the Black Pearl." Annalise stammered as the ship sailed over the dunes, cresting over the edge as if it were sailing the seas instead of somehow pushing its way through sand.

"Impossible." Someone whispered in shock but there was no denying what they were seeing.

They watched in shock as the ship sailed right into the water where, instead of getting stuck in the shallows as it should have, it simply sailed off as though it were a longboat being pushed out into a river.

"Boat." Ragetti said in shock as he pointed at his former ship, his one eye popped wide.

But it was then that they spotted a figure making it's way toward them from behind the ship, sailing back to the beach on a longboat. A very familiar figure.

"Slap me thrice and hand me to my momma." Gibbs breathed, breaking out into a wide smile. "It's Jack!"

Elizabeth also smiled and started forward before jerking to an abrupt halt. Will and Annalise both noticed her reaction, and Will's expression was wooden while Annalise turned her head away, not knowing what to do. Her joy at seeing Jack alive - or rather, breathing like they were - was overshadowed by her confusion and growing unease.

'What if he didn't want me to come?'

The question that had plagued her since Barbossa hatched the rescue plan months ago was now at the forefront of her mind as she watched the crew dash toward Jack, cheering for their former captain.

"It's the Captain!"

"Jack!"

Jack, however, had no hint of any delight or surprise at seeing his former crew. Indeed, with a rather shocking lack of emotion he barked, "Mr. Gibbs!"

"Aye, captain!" Gibbs answered somewhat confusedly, stopping midway to hugging Jack as his captain came to a halt before him.

"I thought so." Jack snapped, causing the entire crew to stop beside Gibbs in equal confusion as the first mate. "I expect you're able to account for your actions then?'