Chapter 7 Crew

"Come along." Jack told his two younger travelling companions as Gibbs disappeared through the throng of people. "I've secured us rooms for the night."

Annalise and Will started in surprise, but quickly followed Jack as he headed for the stairs in the corner of the tavern leading up to the inn on the upper floors, neither particularly wanting to stay any longer in the bar.

"What about Mr. Gibbs?" Annalise asked as she hurried to catch up with Jack, and he explained: "Mr. Gibbs is going to find us a crew. Since that will probably take the whole night, and we can't really go until morning anyway, we shall stay here."

"Is that a good idea?" Will asked as he joined them as well. "We've already lost so much time-"

He cut off as Jack suddenly turned on the steps to look down at the pair. Annalise stumbled a little as she and Will were forced to a stop on the step below - unless they wanted to ram right into the pirate - while Jack leant down to be eye-level with them as he said seriously: "We won't be getting anywhere without a crew, mate."

Annalise blinked at him while Will hesitated, before he nodded in defeat.

"Right, good." Jack stated as he turned around once more and headed up the stairs again.

"Don't you worry, we'll find the bonny lass before long." He called over his shoulder as they went. "So just sleep easy tonight."

"Right. Sleep easy." Will muttered, and Annalise advised with a sigh: "He's right though. And we've decided to trust him to get us to Lizzy, so that's what we'll have to do."

"I don't trust him after that." Will admitted, and Annalise agreed simply: "Neither do I, but until we find Lizzy, our hands are tied."

They both quieted as they walked onto the landing to see Jack waiting by a doorway. He gestured to it as they stopped before him, holding out a key as he informed Annalise: "This'll be your room, Anna."

"We're splitting up?" Annalise asked, more than a little surprised that Jack had been considerate enough to book them separately. "I didn't think it of you, Captain Sparrow."

Jack pretended to clutch his chest in pain as he said: "You wound me, love. But even I wouldn't have you stay in a room with men. Young Mr. Turner and I will be right next door."

He gestured to the room beside hers, while at the same time holding up their key, which Will took to examine as continued to look a little doubtful.

"Is it safe though?" Will questioned, and Jack nodded as he replied: "Aye, I know this place. The doors are thick and sturdy, you'll be fine on your own lass, you have my word."

Annalise grinned a little as she took the offered key from Jack, saying jokingly: "My, my, Captain Sparrow. You're a right gentleman."

"Now that, I am not." He chuckled, and then a mischievous gleam entered his eye. "And if that ever tickles your fancy, love, I wouldn't mind warming your bed."

"Enough, Jack." Will warned, while Annalise laughed. "You'd do better than to say such vulgar things before Annalise."

"It's fine, Will." Annalise chuckled as she turned to unlock her door, but she glanced back over her shoulder as she teased suggestively: "I suspect Jack is simply trying to make up for something else."

Will choked while Jack raised a brow and he dared: "Is that a challenge, Miss Swann?"

"Well, if you can prove you have manners befitting a real man, then I will consider myself to have lost." Annalise returned, smiling smugly at having deliberately led Jack into misconstruing her words as a sexual innuendo.