Chapter 19: Escape

Elizabeth and Annalise sat huddled in the corner of their cell, Elizabeth with one arm wrapped protectively before her younger sister's front.

Annalise had her own arm around her older sister's waist, holding her close and as far away from the hands reaching through the bars.

"Come on, closer." One of the criminal men locked in the cell beside theirs cooed as he reached with his cellmates towards the two beautiful young women dressed in pretty, fitted dresses. "Come on, darlings..."

Annalise finally shot a murderous glare at the men as one of them whistled at her like she was a dog, but it only made them cackle and leer more. Elizabeth kept her gaze away from the vile men, not wanting to see the disgusting lust in their eyes as the men eyed the women up and down.

A noise to the side caught their attention, and the sisters glanced to the side before sitting up straighter as their father appeared in the jail with one of the guards.

"Come quickly." Governor Swann whispered urgently as the guard unlocked the door to their cell and held it open.

Annalise pushed Elizabeth ahead, ignoring as their jailmates called after them, suggesting dirty ideas she would really not have put in her head. Governor Swann barely spared the men catcalling after his daughters a glare – after all, if his plan succeeded, they would never have to endure such sights again let alone from these criminals.

As the trio hurried out of the jail, Elizabeth hissed under her breath to her father: "You've got to tell me what's happening."

"I may still have some standing in the keep." Governor Swann informed his daughters just as quietly as he ushered them quickly out of the fort and towards an alley. "I've arranged passage to England. The Captain is a friend of mine."

"No!" Annalise and Elizabeth exclaimed, both stopping in their tracks instantly.

"Will's gone to find Jack!" Elizabeth continued at the same time Annalise argued with her father: "If anyone has a chance of finding Jack Sparrow, it will be Will."

"We cannot count on William Turner." The Governor answered shortly, grabbing his daughters' arms and trying to pull them along. "Much less a pirate like Jack Sparrow!"

"He's a good man!" Annalise insisted, digging in her heels, and her father whirled on her.

"And are you as certain he will come for you when Sparrow hears you are engaged to Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company?" Her father demanded, and both Elizabeth and Annalise's jaws dropped.

"What?!"

"Beckett has offered your freedom in exchange for your hand in marriage." Her father informed her and Annalise exclaimed: "That's not freedom, that's a lifetime prison sentence!"

"And that is why you must leave! If you insist on staying, I will not have a choice if it will save you." Her father pulled her again and Annalise –stunned by the news and uncertain as to what to do – didn't put up a fight. "Come!"

"But, even if that's why Lisa must go, what about Will?" Elizabeth asked, recovering first from the shocking news their father had just revealed.

Annalise however, suspected more and it left her reeling longer. She recalled the story Jack had told her months ago about his past and connected it to something Will had mentioned before he'd left about Beckett seeming to know Jack personally; and she was certain she knew why Beckett was suddenly interested in marrying her.

"Even if Turner succeeds, there is no guarantee for you." Governor Swann returned as he looked to his daughter. "You're not asking me to endure the sight of my daughter walking to the gallows. Do not."