Chapter 3 Captain Jack Sparrow

The pirate grimaced, while Annalise and Elizabeth stared at him in surprise. Governor Swann meanwhile puffed up angrily, and he snapped: "Hang him."

The pirate glanced at the Governor, and then his eyes moved to meet Annalise's as Norrington ordered: "Keep your guns on him, men. Gillette, fetch some irons."

He flipped the dirty sleeve up a little higher, revealing the tattoo of a sparrow in flight with the sun at the horizon in the background, and he raised a brow.

"Well, well..." Norrington said sarcastically as he let go of the pirate's arm. "Jack Sparrow, isn't it?"

Annalise's eyes widened as she recognized the name, while Jack Sparrow looked back at Norrington.

"Captain Jack Sparrow," Jack Sparrow corrected quite calmly for someone who was cornered and about to be hanged, "if you please, sir."

Norrington raised a brow and he pretended to look around as he commented mockingly: "Well, I don't see your ship...Captain."

"I'm in the market," Jack retorted, "as it were."

"He said he'd come to commandeer one." One of the Navy soldiers piped up suddenly, and Annalise frowned at him while the other piped up: "Told ya he was telling the truth."

The other soldier then turned to Norrington as he reported: "These are his, sir."

He reached down to pick up a pile of belongings, wrapped in a cross-body belt that he'd dropped earlier on the dock. Annalise frowned as she stared at the assortment of weapons and tools, while Norrington also examined each individually and thoroughly.

He picked up the pistol first, testing it and glancing back at the belt as he noted: "No additional shots nor powder."

He tossed the pistol back and picked up a small box instead, opening it to reveal-

"A compass that doesn't point north."

Norrington smirked at Jack dismissively as he clapped the box shut, while Annalise frowned. This didn't seem like the pirate she and her sister had read so many stories about.

Norrington unsheathed the sword hanging from the belt, checking it and he added mockingly as he glanced at Jack: "And I half expected it to be made of wood."

He sheathed the sword carelessly, keeping his eyes on Jack as he said flatly: "You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me." Jack returned smugly.

Annalise raised a brow at that, while Norrington seemed slightly taken aback for a moment before his eyes narrowed. He reached forward and grabbed Jack, dragging him harshly along to be put in chains, and both Annalise and Elizabeth frowned.

"James!" Annalise called angrily as she stalked after Norrington, while Elizabeth strode beside her sister, equally indignant as he objected: "Commodore, I really must protest."

Norrington simply tossed Jack over to Gillette, saying firmly as the other man began placing handcuffs on Jack: "Carefully, Lieutenant."

Elizabeth grabbed Norrington's arm, pulling him to face her and her sister as Annalise stepped forward to stand between him and Jack, demanding his full attention as Elizabeth snapped: "Pirate or not this man saved my life."

"And as such, he deserves at least some mercy." Annalise finished severely, and Norrington frowned at them both.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man of a lifetime of wickedness." Norrington replied sternly, and Jack pointed out derisively: "Though it seems enough to condemn him."