nine.

PEACE | IX.
"I CHOSE TO HELP YOU"
(' A FAMILY REUNION ')

DEVYN WAS TERRIFIED AND WHILE SHE WANTED answers from her father, she didn't want them at the cost of her life and safety

DEVYN WAS TERRIFIED AND WHILE SHE WANTED answers from her father, she didn't want them at the cost of her life and safety. So, she planned to stall. To talk to her father as long as she possibly could until one of the Cullens would come and save her.

"You want to talk, then let's talk. Where the hell have you been?"

"I've been around," he answers, "Taking care of business as I always did."

"What business were you into?" Devyn asks, "Taking teens to the so-called Volturi?"

Her father chuckles, "Do you even know who the Volturi are? What they do?"

"They're the bad guys," Devyn answers, "And that's all I need to know."

"Your protectors have really kept you in the dark, haven't they? That's okay, I'm here to inform you now. To tell you everything that they won't," her father says taking a seat on the swing beside her. She watches him wearily.

"What do they want from me?" Devyn asks finally, it was the question that had been weighing on her mind since the situation began.

"They want to grant you the gift of immortality," her father tells her.

"Why me?" Devyn asks, "What is so special about me?"

Her father looks at her, "Did they at least tell you of the gifts vampires receive?"

"Yes," Devyn says, "I'm aware of those."

"I can tell what gift humans will have once they're turned, all with a simple touch. Your friend, Justine? She'd be able to compel people. And Emma? Atmokinesis. Love manipulation. And then there's you my beautiful and powerful daughter. You would be able to do all that and more."

"Meaning?" Devyn asks, trying to ignore the concern that her father had been in contact with her friends at some point.

"Meaning that your power is absorption. You can take the power of any vampire you come in contact with," Harrison says with a wide grin, "You could join the ranks of the Volturi with that ability."

"I don't want to be a member of the Volturi," Devyn says shaking her head, "I don't want to be a vampire."

Her father sighs, "You were always difficult."

He stands from the swings and grabs Devyn's wrist, tugging her up from the swing. Her face twists in pain at her father's cold and iron grip on her wrist. She was certain there was going to be a bruise.

"Let me go!" Devyn exclaims as she slaps at her father, but he continues to drag her further away from the dance.

"I didn't want to do this, but you insisted on acting like a brat!" he yelled at her and Devyn could feel herself wanting to shrink into her skin.