sixteen.

PEACE | XVI.
"YOU HAVE A FAMILY CURSE?"
(' FIRST DATES AND HOUSE PARTIES ')

"YOU HAVE A FAMILY CURSE?"(' FIRST DATES AND HOUSE PARTIES ')

DEVYN LOVED EVERYONE IN HER TOPICS of History class. They'd all chosen European History as the first topic they wanted to study and now they were discussing The War of the Roses, an event that Jasper and Rosalie had not been alive for, which meant they were just as lost as everyone else in the class. It was enjoyable to watch.

"Go ahead without me," Devyn tells Emma at the end of class as they were packing up their things, "I want to ask Ms. Daniels a question."

"Okay," Emma says, "See you at lunch."

Devyn waits until she's sure that Emma is in the hallway before heading over to Rosalie's desk who had been shoving actual notes into her bag. She looked up at Devyn, tucking a long strand of blonde hair behind her ear, that had been obscuring her vision.

"Hey," Devyn greets, "Heard anything new?"

"About you or the Volturi? No. Alice hasn't seen anything either. Have you had any weird visions about that cathedral?"

"No," Devyn answers.

"That's good," Rosalie states as she stands from her desk. A small smile grows on her lips, "How are things with Maggie?"

"We don't have to talk about that," Devyn tells her.

"Really?" Rosalie asks quirking an eyebrow, "You were rubbing her in my face not too long ago."

Devyn rolls her eyes, "That's because I was being an ass. Now I'm not so we're not gonna talk about her."

"Fair enough," Rosalie states, "Well if I hear anything I'll let you know."

"I'll let you know if anything changes too," Devyn tells her. Rosalie nods and offers a smile before disappearing down the hall to her next class. Devyn watches her walk away chewing on the inside of her cheek as she heads toward her marketing class.

At lunch, she receives a text from her mother stating that they were having dinner at the Clearwater's and she wanted to know if she could pick Madison up from school bring her over to the Clearwater's. She responded that she could before coming to the unfortunate realization that Madison and Maggie would both be in her car and Madison would actually be able to communicate with her.

"Guess what!" Nathan exclaims as he takes a seat across from Devyn. Justine and Tristan trail behind him, appearing less enthusiastic.

"What?" she asks.

"Apparently we're getting another new student," Nathan says as he takes a seat, "My dad is friends with the Chief of Police, Charlie Swan."

"Best friends," Tristan adds, "Isn't that right, Charles?"

"Charles?" Devyn asks as she looks over at Nathan to find his pale cheeks rosy red.

"My parents were in a car accident, Chief Swan helped them out, they named me after him, but I don't go by Charles, I go by my middle name. Nathaniel."