thirteen.

PEACE | XIII.
"OPEN YOUR HEART, DEVYN!"
(' SECOND SEASON ')

"OPEN YOUR HEART, DEVYN!"(' SECOND SEASON ')

"GUYS, DEVYN'S ALIVE!"

Devyn hears the exclamation as she gets out of her car and looks up just in time to see Emma barreling in her direction. She throws her arms around Devyn, squeezing her tightly and rocking her from side to side.

Devyn laughs as she hugs Emma, "Hey Emma."

"You were MIA all break, I thought you'd gone back to New York," Emma says pulls away from the embrace, eyes scanning over Devyn.

"I had to deal with some stuff," Devyn answers and it was true, she'd spent most of break overanalyzing her feelings for Rosalie and the moments that she hadn't been thinking of Rosalie, she'd been worrying about her father. The only reprieve she'd experienced was when she was with Leah and Jacob.

"Is everything okay now?" Emma asks her, worry evident in big brown eyes.

"Yeah," Devyn tells her and the concern melts away. Emma throws an arm around Devyn's shoulder and begins directing her toward the school, "How was your break?"

"Went to visit my family in Texas, listened as my family argued over basic human rights. You know, the usual," Emma weakly pumps her fist in the air, "Yee-haw."

Devyn laughs at the remark and ignores Rosalie's golden eyes as they walk past her car. They meet up with Justine, Tristan, and Ralph by the school doors.

"Devyn, back me up here. Which is worse, a maze or a labyrinth?"

"A maze," Devyn answers, "Also why are you two arguing about this?"

"Because Ralph is an – wait did you say maze?"

"She said maze!" Ralph exclaims, "Ha! Guess you don't know it all Justine."

"Shh," Justine tells Ralph, holding her palm up to his face, "Explain."

"A maze is a series of routes and dead ends. A labyrinth has one entrance and exit. The goal is to get to the center, making it less complex and complicated than a maze," Devyn explains.

"Okay but if a minotaur is in a labyrinth-"

"You said nothing about a minotaur!" Ralph exclaims.

Devyn laughs and looks over at Emma who was staring at the two of them with a frown. She meets Devyn's gaze and shakes her head, "Weirdos I tell you. Also, can we go inside? I'm freezing my ass off."

"We can't let the queen freeze," Devyn teases as she goes to open the door for Emma, "After you."

"Such manners," Emma says as she walks through the door, "A New Yorker with southern hospitality."

"We're a rare breed," Devyn jokes. Ralph and Justine trail behind them, deep in their debate over maze and labyrinth complexity. At the pace she was walking, Emma seemed intent on leaving them behind.