eighteen.

PEACE | XVIII.
"WE'D GROW OLD TOGETHER"
(' HOSPITAL DAYS ')

DEVYN SIGHS AS SHE WATCHES THE BASKETBALL game playing on the hospital TV screen

DEVYN SIGHS AS SHE WATCHES THE BASKETBALL game playing on the hospital TV screen. She was being kept in the hospital while doctors ran tests to figure out how she was alive and what exactly her blood was composed of.

She'd missed her younger sister attending the father-daughter dance with Charlie who volunteered despite only having been on three dates with her mother.

She'd missed Nathan and Maggie's conference championship game, which they'd won and meant they were in the state playoffs. Maggie had told her about the game with such eagerness and excitement that Devyn really hated that she was stuck in the hospital.

Her friends visited every day, keeping her up to date with what was going on at school and their lives. Justine eagerly told her a story about Emmett holding the door for her. Emma told her about Alice complimenting her hair and Nathan had given her a Conference Champion t-shirt that had been signed by both the men's varsity basketball team and the women's, all wising her to get well. Her favorite part was the basketball heart that Maggie had drawn on the back of the shirt.

Devyn's life was currently boring, but she couldn't deny the fact that she felt safe within the confines of the hospital. Boring was a fair trade for safe.

"Basketball?" Leah asks from the doorway, "Maggie's changed you."

"Ha," Devyn says as she scoots over and pats the open space of her bed. Leah comes and lays down with her. Devyn looks over at Leah and smiles, "What is it like outside? Do people still listen to country or is it a dead genre?"

Leah chuckles, "Sadly country is still a genre."

"Damn it," Devyn says, "Wake me up when it's dead."

"You're not allowed to sleep," Leah says, patting Devyn's cheek, "Eyes open."

"Bleh," Devyn retorts, "Do you know what it's like to have magical blood? You'd think it would be cool, but it sucks."

"I'm sorry," Leah apologizes, "The food here also has to suck."

"It does," Devyn whines, she throws an arm and leg around Leah's warm body, "Please spring me, and take me to the nearest restaurant."

Leah laughs in her ear, "I don't think I can do that, but if you want, I can pick you up something."

"Would you?" Devyn asks.

"Yeah," Leah answers, poking Devyn's side, "What do you want?"

"Your dad's cooking," Devyn answers and Leah falls into a fit of laughter.

"Seriously?"

"His fish fry is amazing," Devyn says, "And I haven't had fried food in days."

Leah laughs, "Okay, I'll call him and have him make you some."