fifteen.

PEACE | XV.
"AM I YOUR MATE?"
(' COMPROMISE ')

DEVYN TAKES A SEAT AT THE CULLENS' lunch table, placing herself between Rosalie and Alice, earning stares from all of her friends and from the Cullens themselves

"Hi Devyn," Alice greets.

"Hi," Devyn says, as she pulls her notebook out of her bag and places it on the table, "So I had lunch with my dad this past weekend-"

"I'm sorry, you did what?" Rosalie asks her.

"I ate lunch with my dad," Devyn repeats and Rosalie shoots a glare at Alice who shrugs apologetically.

"I had her going straight home from the Reservation," Alice says defensively, "She must have made a different decision."

"I did," Devyn answers, "I got lunch. With my dad."

"And he didn't hurt you?" Rosalie asks and Devyn shakes her head.

"No cuts, no bruises, just slightly more intense abandonment issues, but I can worry about that later. The weird thing was that my dad told me that the Volturi were no longer after me. When I asked him what they were after he avoided the question really hard," Devyn explains.

Emmett's eyebrows furrow as he looks at his siblings, unsure if he was missing something, "All of this is good, right?"

"Yes and no," Devyn answers, "You guys are officially off protection duty and are now on sleuthing duty with me."

"Sleuthing duty?" Rosalie asks, "What are you talking about?"

"My dad said that the Volturi are dealing with an old enemy. What old enemy is more important than me?"

Edward snorts softly, "Isn't that a bit narcissistic?"

"Once again, yes and no. When my dad was talking to me, he kept making weird allusions to power and control. Let's not forget that if I become a vampire, I will be the most powerful vampire. Ever. So, while narcissistic, what enemy is more important than me?"

"The Volturi have a lot of enemies," Jasper says with a shrug, "It could be anyone."

"But she has a point," Edward says, "The Volturi never focus all of their energy on one particular threat, and to call off her dad completely, I don't know it's a little unsettling."

"Why are we searching for problems?" Rosalie asks, she hits Devyn on the arm, holding back severely so that she doesn't actually hurt Devyn, "You need to stop."

Devyn smiles at Rosalie, knowing that she's about to piss her off, "But wait there's more!"

She opens her notebook and shows them the drawing she had made while volunteering at her sister's school, "For some reason, I keep thinking about this labyrinth. Are any of you familiar with it?"