28 | Deja Vu

Olivia's eyes fluttered once she heard the car slow down to a stop. Through her heavy eyelids and the dark street, it was hard to tell, but she recognized her driveway.

"We're here already?" She questioned half-asleep.

Joshua nodded. "Yep, we're here. Unfortunately not for long, though, since we have to go to set in a few hours. Ugh, and the drive home will mean even less sleep—"

"You can stay here!" Madison suggested, which startled the two of them as they were unaware she was awake.

Olivia shot her a look, but Madison ignored her, eager to hear Joshua's answer.

"Um... would that be okay with Olivia's mom? I don't want to overstep..." He trailed off nervously.

"She loves me, so it'll be okay once I explain it to her. Just head inside," Madison winked at Olivia, but she was too in shock at Madison's... bold? Impulsive? Crazy? Idea. Nonetheless, she had to go through with it now, as Joshua was halfway up to her front door already. Olivia hurried up behind him to unlock the door, Madison trailing behind.

"You can stay on the couch, if you want. Or I can pull out a sleeping bag to put in my room, if you prefer Madi and I's company," Olivia offered as they quietly entered her house.

"I'm sure he prefers our company, we're more fun than an empty living room," Madison chimed in. "Come on, let's go." She hurried up the stairs as they followed her into Olivia's bedroom. As Joshua took in his surroundings, he realized there was only one sleeping bag and one bed, "Wait, Madi, isn't the sleeping bag for y—"

"Oh, there's only one! I forgot!" Madison pretended to be in shock. "You're right, that one's mine. You and Olivia can share her bed, you both fit, right?"

Olivia and Joshua both shot her a panicked look before exchanging a "pretending-to-be-comfortable-with-this-severely-awkward-idea" look between each other. "Sure..." they awkwardly agreed, Madison mentally crunching on popcorn as she watched their entertaining awkward encounter.

"I'm going to go change into some more comfortable clothes. Where's the bathroom...?" Joshua asked.

"Down the hall, second door on the left," Olivia replied as he left the room. Once she heard the bathroom door close, Madison giggled, Olivia glaring at her. "What the hell did you just do?"

"Do you not remember my mission? God, Liv, all those lines you memorized must take up so much space you forgot anything I've said to you."

"Madison!" Olivia whisper-yelled. "First, you come up with this crazy idea. Second, you invite him without asking me or my mom into my house? Then you make us sleep in the same bed?! My mom will kill me if she sees us in my bed together, she'd get the wrong idea!"

"Not if we lock the door, she won't," Madison grinned. "And did that not happen before? Anyway, Olivia, lighten up a bit, please? You know I'm doing this for you guys with good intentions. I'm sorry I overstepped, you know how impulsive I get on minimal hours of sleep without caffeine."

"True..." Olivia agreed reluctantly before pulling her in for a hug. "I can't stay mad at you. But next time, bring up the impulsive ideas to me first? You know I'm your impulse control."

"This is true," Madison agreed as Joshua reentered the room.

"Did I miss anything?" He asked.

"Nope," Olivia and Madison responded in unison. Madison let Olivia go change in the bathroom and return before she went, leaving the two alone to figure out their sleeping arrangement.

"Do you prefer a side...?" Joshua asked as he gestured towards the bed.

"No, you're fine over there," Olivia sat down on the left side, Joshua to her right.

"If this is too awkward, I can sneak out after Madison falls asleep and sleep on the couch. I don't mind," Joshua offered.

"It's fine, really. We kinda accidentally did this before, remember?"

Joshua laughed quietly, "Yeah, I guess we did."

Madison reentered the room, closing the door behind her. "Okay, children, bedtime! Need me to tuck you in? Tell a bedtime story?"

"You do remember I'm older than you, right?" Joshua pointed out. Madison stuck her tongue out in response.

"Just go to sleep, Madi, I know you're ti-red," Olivia sang.

"No I'm no-ot," Madison sang back. Olivia raised an eyebrow at her. Madison sighed, "Okay, maybe I a-am."

"Goodnight, Madi," Olivia and Joshua sang, Madison singing back. After a few minutes, she was out.

Olivia and Joshua laid quietly in her bed, the two a bit uncomfortable to sleep so easily. Unknowingly, both of their minds wandered to the same memory: Joshua coming over to comfort her after her breakup and how they fell asleep together in these very same spots. Why aren't we that comfortable now?

They exchanged glances at the same time, the same thoughts running their heads. They let out a small laugh, their eyes locked on one another's in the dark. "Is it okay if we...?" Joshua whispered, Olivia nodding. They scooted closer to each other, and just like that night that felt so long ago, they wrapped their arms around the other. She laid her head against his chest, hearing his heart thump through this shirt. There was a lingering feeling of deja vu, yet it also felt so brand new.

•••

A/N: okay... yall know the drill by now... it's been way too long since i last updated and i apologize! i had a hell of a lot of writer's block and motivation levels went 📉 so yeah :( life has been a little bit whacky but also not too bad, i'm still trying to figure out where i want to go to college, i got both my covid vaccines, i have a job interview today, so woo! senioritis tho,,,, yikes! kinda just want to graduate already but i've got another month or so to go 🥵  also hehe new cover! not too sure how i'm feeling about it tho 🤷‍♀️

and how are you guys??? i really do love talking to you in the comments, so feel free to chat! i'm always here for you guys, even if it's just a quick little convo!

like can we talk about fearless (taylor's version)??? SOBBING and feeling hella nostalgic of my childhood as that was the first taylor album i ever heard 😭

anyway i hope you enjoyed this chapter! if so please don't forget to vote comment and share because i love your feedback!

thanks, until next time ;)