21 | First Choice

"So, how are things going over there on set?" Olivia asked Madison over FaceTime as she painted her nails on her bed.

"Same old, same old," Madison shrugged. "But, um, I guess there is some tea?"

"On who and what?"

Madison hesitated. "Liv, it's about... you know..."

"You can say his name, Madi, it's not like he's evil," Olivia responded.

"I know, and we're still chill since we're costars, but that doesn't mean I don't forgive him for breaking your heart," Madison replied. "Anyway, that's kind of the tea I heard... it's about why specifically Ethan broke up with you."

Olivia almost dropped the bottle of nail polish on her bed. "Um, spill."

"Are you sure?"

"Come on, Madi, is it really that bad?"

Madison sighed as she looked around, making sure no one else was listening. "I guess not? I don't know, that's really just up to you."

"God, the suspense is killing me, I feel like I've been reading a book where this builds for like 5 pages, just tell me already."

"Okay, okay," Madison paused to make sure Olivia was paying attention. "So, I was going to my dressing room on set today early this morning, like early enough to where my coffee hadn't kicked in. Anyway, I walk onto set and Ethan's door is open and I hear him and his manager arguing over the phone on speaker. Ethan complained about how he's tired of feeling like every decision he makes is controlled by him, including being told to date you and then to break up with you. At that point I stopped listening because I was in shock because I thought he was just an asshole who broke up with you, but now hearing that it wasn't his fault..."

"It means he still cares about me," Olivia said in a dazed state.

"Liv, I know that look, don't even think about it," Madison warned. "You like Josh now! You can't backtrack to Ethan just because of this!"

"But, Madi—"

"Don't 'but Madi' me, young lady!" Madison snapped. "Think about it, if Ethan really did care about you, wouldn't he have found a way? Or at least have told you the truth? Or try to still keep in touch but as friends? He wouldn't have just dumped you completely like that, Liv. Josh is a great guy and what you deserve, don't forget that!"

"Well, what if his manager told him to completely avoid me or something?"

Madison sighed. "Olivia, you can't keep throwing out these 'what if's', it's not healthy. I was afraid to tell you this because I was afraid you'd react like this. Just, please, go on with your life like you have been this entire time, okay?"

"Okay fine," Olivia replied reluctantly. "Thanks for telling me anyway."

"No prob, now I gotta go, we'll talk later?"

"Of course! Love you."

"Love you, too, bye."

After Madison hung up, Olivia couldn't help but let her mind wander. Ethan didn't want to break up? Does that mean he still cares for me, but can't show it because of his manager? Does that mean there's a chance that we—?

Olivia's thoughts were interrupted by an unexpected knock on her front door. She got off the couch, wrapping her cardigan closer to herself, and opened the door to reveal Joshua standing outside in the cool weather with his guitar.

"Hey, Livvy," Joshua smiled. "Can I come in?"

"Oh, yeah, sure," Olivia stepped aside and let him in towards the living room.

Joshua sat down on the couch and leaned his guitar against it. He had come prepared to sing to Olivia as a part of his plan to ask her out, but once he noticed the glazed look in her eyes, he knew he couldn't do so just yet.

"Is everything alright?"

"Hm? Oh," Olivia snapped out of her daze. "Um, I'm not sure, actually."

"You want to talk about it?"

Olivia hesitated; she wasn't sure if telling the guy she thought she liked (and assumed liked her back) that she might still have feelings for her ex was the smartest move.

But sometimes in life, people don't always make the smartest choices.

So she told him everything Madison had told her, even though she knew it could potentially risk everything they had going for them romantically. But, above all of that, she hoped them being best friends meant more and would avoid hurt feelings.

Unfortunately, she was wrong.

Joshua nodded through her explanation and apology, telling her he understood even though his heart sank and ached, and the guitar he gripped in his hand felt heavier by the second.

Even though it hurt like hell, Joshua understood; he wasn't her first choice.

•••

A/N: me *starting this chapter*: idk what to write
me 5 seconds later to myself: write pain

and that's how this chapter was born 🙈 again, sorry for no update in a few weeks, i had some writer's block and then started to get busy stressing over college application essays (because i'm a perfectionist and want it to be perfect so i get accepted 🤞😬) because it's almost senior year for me and i wanted to get started early 🥵 it's an exciting, stressful time and makes me realize that i'm old LOL

also if you noticed the cardigan reference... i adore you and hope you're streaming folklore as you should <3

anyway i hope you enjoyed this chapter! if so please don't forget to vote comment and share because i love your feedback!

thanks, until next time ;)